ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Soccer World Cup 2014

<< < (5/6) > >>

superboyac:
Much as I've tried, I just can't get into soccer.

Or watching any sporting event on TV for that matter.

Wish I could sometimes. But there you have it.

Anybody else have this same problem?
-40hz (June 21, 2014, 10:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Me too.
Watching Sports feels old-fashioned to me, like listening to the radio in the living room.
A while back, I said basketball would be more interesting to me if HBO took it over and showed games with just a mic'd building.  SO you hear the players, coaches, fans (hopefully not the arena music/fx).  And not that fake stuff where the mic the coach and he knows it so when the tv comes on him he says some generic coaching cliche.  i want to hear the real stuff.

I went to a Laker game last year...people laugh.  I didn't even watch the game.  I watched, through binoculars, the coaches, the play by play announcer, officials.  It was fascinating.  You know those huddles?  Well, they only do that in the 4th quarter when the tv camera is on them.  In non-televised timeouts, the players just sit and don't talk.  Even funnier...the coaches don't talk either!  people just sit and stand around.  that stuff is largely for show.

So as you can see, I'm more interested now in how the mechanisms of the sports works.  the game itself is not as interesting.

nosh:
"They cooked us in 90 minutes"
-Giampy (June 25, 2014, 07:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

So sad to see Pirlo's WC end. :(

wraith808:
So the U.S. won, tied, lost, and advanced? I will never make fun of American football again.

tomos:
So the U.S. won, tied, lost, and advanced? I will never make fun of American football again.
-wraith808 (June 26, 2014, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
:D

now it gets serious though ;)

Shades:
-wraith808 (June 26, 2014, 01:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you'd ask me (and I know no-one did), in every tournament it is important to score as much points as you can all the time, while your opponent(s) don't. However, if more than one team has to same score at the end of the pool and only one of them is allowed to advance, then the team that has been able to score the most in all of the previous tournament games will be allowed to continue.

Not nearly as convoluted a rule set than what American Football subjects you to. And if that doesn't make sense...then you should wonder why American Football is only popular in the US. And it is not that Europe didn't try to start a American Football League. It is just that tickets were expensive, teams have way too much low-profile players to "connect" and so, so many rules...that it became a drag to sit through a game and that can only last so long.

To me it appears that American Football is much more about destroying the opponent mentally and physically (preferably both), not about two groups of talented players that want to have a good/great game. And with the easy accessible game of soccer (in comparison) I think it isn't weird that soccer is played by much more people globally. And for those outside the US that are into full contact team sports, there is rugby.

Not to dis the players or the sport, American Football sure requires skill, stamina and perseverance. It is just not sufficiently "dressed" to appeal to anywhere else than the US.

Then again, what do I know, I ain't a big sports fan. The only exceptions are Formula 1 + MotoGP + world cup soccer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version