ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Stuff We Feel Like Bitching About

<< < (9/9)

wraith808:
I'd rather give them a couple bucks a month and get rid of all ads.
-wraith808 (June 16, 2014, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen!
-40hz (June 17, 2014, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm surprised that hasn't come of age before now.  And I wonder how long before a big player steps in.

For those who haven't seen them:

Patreon
Flattr

I'm sure there are others out there... but really, there's no excuse to depend on ads anymore IMO.

Shades:
Nobody using Ghostery for blocking ads? Although the source of this browser plug-in (all the main ones, except IE) might be considered questionable, I am using it to my satisfaction. it's the only blocker in my browser (FF) and even on the more...adult sites, it blocks beyond belief.

TaoPhoenix:
Nobody using Ghostery for blocking ads? Although the source of this browser plug-in (all the main ones, except IE) might be considered questionable, I am using it to my satisfaction. it's the only blocker in my browser (FF) and even on the more...adult sites, it blocks beyond belief.
-Shades (June 17, 2014, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow. I've known about Ghostery for years. I have it, but I must have turned it off in some kind of test and forgot. I knew it blocked a lot of the "trackers", but most of them I wasn't that concerned about, but it seems to help with some of the sliders too. And it also looks like it greatly slows down the "pings".

Without getting all exhaustive, nice tip!

Now what then springs to mind is why does this have to be Ghostery, and AdBlock doesn't do that?

Also, a subset of the bitch-rant is that a lot of these things aren't in fact ads, they're native site content that just seems to want to slide stuff everywhere, like Sharing or Menus. So each of these sites wants to run like twelve scripts, of which seven are vital where the content doesn't even load without them, and the other five are the ones I hate. I don't have the energy to wade through that each time for forty sites, so I just hack my way around it all.

40hz:
-Shades (June 17, 2014, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using it. f0dder gave me the heads up on this puppy quite a while ago and I've been using it ever since. It's one of several blockers I employ regularly.
 8)

Renegade:
My blockers:

The first one is Ghostery.

The second is Adblock Plus.

Both of those I got from recommendations here at DC. (I forget who exactly.)

The third is DarkWallet. Included just because. :P ;D ;)  :Thmbsup:  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version