ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Stuff We Feel Like Bitching About

<< < (6/9) > >>

40hz:
I'm on the verge...
-wraith808 (June 09, 2014, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of switching hosts?

A wise decision. I would. 8) :)

wraith808:
I'm on the verge...
--- End quote ---

Of switching hosts?

-40hz (June 09, 2014, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, it's not my site.  *sigh*

I even offered to host them for free on my server if they'd just move... but when dealing with people that don't know about technology, they hate change, understandably.

"So here is us.  On the raggedy edge."

40hz:
I'm on the verge...
--- End quote ---

Of switching hosts?

-40hz (June 09, 2014, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, it's not my site.  *sigh*

I even offered to host them for free on my server if they'd just move... but when dealing with people that don't know about technology, they hate change, understandably.

"So here is us.  On the raggedy edge."
-wraith808 (June 09, 2014, 07:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Our world and welcome to it, huh?

Yeah...sounds about right.

Just be sure to wear your BOFH sigil, discreetly pinned inside your street clothes. (It adds 10 extra hit points!)  ;) ;D

Renegade:
@Ren - I still don't see what subjecting somebody (who often lacks any real authority) to a barrage of obscenity and spleen is going to accomplish. Maybe it's cathartic for some people to vent. But I usually find I feel far worse, after having lost my temper, than I did before. So I guess this is one of those YMMV things.
-40hz (June 09, 2014, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

You won't get any argument from me about that! :)

My most common tactic is to play pathetic and desperate. This usually gets me very good results and gets problems solved. Being polite combined with being desperate makes the person on the other end feel sorry for you, and you can play off that to get what you want.

I'm not trying to say outrage is never justified or needed. But to adopt it as a default policy or 'game plan' strikes me as being counterproductive in the long run. Shock only works once or twice on most people. Then the psychological calluses start to form. After that, a caller's aggressive or abusive behavior rolls off the back like a cold drop of rain - an unpleasant sensation perhaps, but little else.
-40hz (June 09, 2014, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

And sometimes things are just so hosed that you might as well boil the baby and the bath water, then crucify the baby upside down, and start flinging feces at it all like a howler monkey.

Counterproductive? It all depends on what your goals are.

When there's no hope of resolving a situation, why not go nuclear? At least you'll make the life of the person on the other end a living hell, which will encourage them to quit their job. This in turn means higher turn-over for the job position and higher costs for the company/organisation/government. At some point they *may* actually see that there is a problem and fix it.

But there's no point in being nice or polite when you know that the situation won't get fixed. Going nuclear is sometimes a rational decision, even if it is the worst one.

Renegade:
(see attachment in previous post)
Just be sure to wear your BOFH sigil, discreetly pinned inside your street clothes. (It adds 10 extra hit points!)  ;) ;D
-40hz (June 09, 2014, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

It also gives you superpowers to electrocute people! Don't forget that! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version