ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to remove CDFS partition from a USB Stick

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
Umptool is chip specific IIRC.

So you'll also need to grab a copy of Chip Genius to determine which chip and flavor of Umptool you need. Google it.

Stoic Joker:
So you'll also need to grab a copy of Chip Genius to determine which chip and flavor of Umptool you need. Google it.-40hz (June 04, 2014, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

No need for to Google, it's covered by link 3 from your video posted above.

Daleus:
Many thanks for the suggestions.  I forgot to subscribe to this thread or I would have replied earlier.

Chip Genius I had already tried, but couldn't find proper PID/VID info.  I later read that those values can be over written as part of the process of creating this odd setup, so I gave up on that.

I tried GPartEd Parted and GPartMagic - none of them could see the CD based partition, likely because it identified as a CD which of course can't be partitioned.

The RodsBooks link was an interesting read, but I do not have an easily accessible linux machine to use, nor do I have the chops to know what I'm doing even if I did.

I tried several programs that promised to wipe the Partition Table, but in fact were not able to.

Not all is lost though.  I have previously used a tool called Rufus, which is used to prep a USB stick to install and boot from a USB stick.  It is the only program I have found that sees the device as the full 8g capacity.  I am currently oprepping it now and have higher than reasonable hopes that it will be that easy ;)

There was another program I downloaded yesterday as well, that I haven't had a go with yet, called Kill Disk Suite, and it advertises it's ability to wipe and reinitialize the partition table.

I'll report back on which if either of these works.

Cheers and thanks again for the fantastic response!

Dale

40hz:
So you'll also need to grab a copy of Chip Genius to determine which chip and flavor of Umptool you need. Google it.-40hz (June 04, 2014, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

No need for to Google, it's covered by link 3 from your video posted above.
-Stoic Joker (June 04, 2014, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I missed that. Thx! :Thmbsup:

FWIW, I've never had much luck with Umptool in the past when I needed to fix something seriously screwed up. I don't know if I'm unlucky, clueless, or the tool was just a little too behind the curve when I needed it.

katykaty:
Throw it away. The time you'll spend removing the partition is worth more than a bit of USB memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version