ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Qiana" released to distribution

(1/9) > >>

40hz:
It's heeeeeere! :)

Mint's latest and greatest (codename: Quina) has just been officially released to distribution in both 32 and 64-bit native versions. Cinnamon and MATE desktops are both available now. This is Mint's first LTS release (based off Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr") which will receive security updates until 2019 and reflect Mint's new long-term strategy.

More here and here.

Jibz:
That's great news, mint has worked well for testing here :Thmbsup:.

ewemoa:
I get good use of their iso images as rescue / live usb tools :up:

Getting the 64-bit Cinnamon image now.

MilesAhead:
This time I'm downloading the x64 Mate version.  Just curious to see how it differs.

40hz:
This time I'm downloading the x64 Mate version.  Just curious to see how it differs.
-MilesAhead (June 01, 2014, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd appreciate you sharing your impressions on that. There's tons of comments and reviews of the Cinnamon version. Hardly anything of substance posted about MATE.

FWIW I tried MATE and decided that (for a full bells & whistles desktop at least) I preferred Cinnamon. It's what Mint is focusing the most effort into since 'spicegirl' is their baby. Probably why it somehow seems more polished. For really ditzing with desktop customizations (which I don't do very much these days) I'd probably be more inclined to start with some distro that favored KDE. KDE was made for tweaking.

Either way, if you do, let us know what you think about MATE. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version