ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Qiana" released to distribution

<< < (3/9) > >>

dantheman:
Tried Cinnamon 64bit on SSD dual booting with Windows 7 and i find that Ubuntu loads a few seconds faster.
Used to be the opposite.

BTW, is there a way to perform searches in LM somewhat like the Ubuntu search that also does a Google search (while showing other things on computer etc.)?

Stoic Joker:
FWIW running off the ISO or installed on real metal works just fine.

I wonder if something with the current version of upstart is causing big stones for virtual machines?
-40hz (June 03, 2014, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Realistic Expectations issue perhaps? Since everything else (network, sound, mouse, and keyboard) worked fine in the virtual environment - smooth guest/host transitions with no captured mouse issues - the OS's desire for hardware acceleration is fairly reasonable in this day and age. I'm assuming there is a setting somewhere that will quiet the video grumbling ... I just wanted to chime in on Deo's shutdown issue incase they were somehow related. I'm wondering when during the shutdown is the VM crashing. Is it during the graphical, transitional, or textual phase of the shutdown?

40hz:
BTW, is there a way to perform searches in LM somewhat like the Ubuntu search that also does a Google search (while showing other things on computer etc.)?
-dantheman (June 03, 2014, 08:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's a way to do anything in Linux. But Ubuntu's implementation of scopes and lenses which make that 'feature' available as part of Unity aren't something most other distros (and their users) will be anxious to copy.

ewemoa:
-dantheman (June 03, 2014, 08:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

On a side note, I just installed kupfer on LM 17 and it provides a way to interface with search engines -- I don't know if it's quite what you're looking for, but FWIW:

http://engla.github.io/kupfer/help/plugin-websearch.html

dantheman:
Thank you ememoa! Will investigate.
The option to add search engines is interesting for sure!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version