ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Qiana" released to distribution

<< < (2/9) > >>

40hz:
Informal video walk-thru/review:

40hz:
Got 17/Qiana Cinnamon loaded on a test machine. I put it through its paces for a few hours and it's looking lovely. I'll probably test it a little more tomorrow - and likely install it on my main general productivity workstation sometime this week.

(Note: I'm not exactly happy with the systemd capitualation decision. But that's not a battle a non-dev is going to be able to fight let alone win.  "So it goes." as Kurt V so aptly put it.  :-\ )

Deozaan:
I installed it on a VM and it crashes VirtualBox every time it tries to shutdown. I'm not sure what went wrong. VirtualBox is working just fine with my other VMs.

Stoic Joker:
I installed it on a VM and it crashes VirtualBox every time it tries to shutdown. I'm not sure what went wrong. VirtualBox is working just fine with my other VMs.-Deozaan (June 03, 2014, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

At least it turns off when you tell it to. I just spent 10 minutes at a command prompt trying to kick mine to sleep in Hyper-V.

Apparently it doesn't much like the video driver, as it complained every step of the way that it couldn't access hardware acceleration. On boot it gave me a CLI login and refused to go graphical until I ran StartX. Then it loaded the desktop and promptly told me it really wanted hardware acceleration (GUI), and that the X server had crashed (CLI style error)...but then went right back to the desktop. O_o

Then I polked around for a bit and all seemed fine, but I had a rather narrow window of time to play with this thing ... So, time to shutdown and go back to work. Ha!

Apparently after hitting shutdown on the desktop it just starts a 60 second timer (WTF..?) that then closes the desktop...only. Shutdown had actually just dropped me back to a command prompt and then syntactically teased my until I stumbled the correct command to get the thing to exit ... Which it finally did do smoothly.

Booting from the "CD" (.iso actually) did not however exhibit any of these ill natured shenanigans.

40hz:
FWIW running off the ISO or installed on real metal works just fine.

I wonder if something with the current version of upstart is causing big stones for virtual machines?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version