ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: It's official - Mint 17 "Qiana" released to distribution

<< < (5/9) > >>

dantheman:
@ewemoa,

Kupfer shows much potential (first i've heard about it) but i'm probably missing something about shortcut (hotkey).
Invoking Kupfer (step 1) then step 2 and step 3 is one step too many compared to simply opening browser and search.

ewemoa:
May be you'll find the triggers functionality to your liking (check out the examples):

http://engla.github.io/kupfer/help/plugin-triggers.html

FWIW, there's also a "Google Search" plugin.

Actually, it doesn't look like it's possible to do what I was thinking.  IIUC, kupfer is inspired by the QuickSilver application, and IIRC, there it was possible to create a trigger (global shortcut) that invoked a command which let you type some text which if followed by Enter would perform a web search.  I didn't figure out how to do the comparable thing in kupfer unfortunately -- triggers exist in kupfer and it is also possible to create commands...however, it doesn't look like it's possible to create commands that when invoked allow you to type the text of your query (though you can make commands that operate on "selected text").

Deozaan:
@Deo- don't forget the guest additions. Most times I have problems with VBox it's the guest additions that are responsible. And I almost always forget to update them. 8)
-40hz (June 04, 2014, 07:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just tried a fresh re-install and attempted to install the guest additions. I'm not sure if it worked or not because I don't think I've ever done them before and all I found was a file on the CD that said Linux in the filename. I clicked it and told it to run in the terminal. The terminal popped open for a second, some text flashed across the screen, then it closed.

After that I decided to reboot the VM to see if anything was working any better. It crashed VirtualBox again. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm picking "use LVM" in the installation options.

I'll try a fresh install one more time, this time without the LVM and see if that gives different results.

ewemoa:
FWIW, I didn't use LVM.  Also, I think I may have used the following packages for guest additions via apt-get, synaptic, or equivalent:

virtualbox-guest-x11
  virtualbox-guest-utils

May be 40hz can comment on whether that sounds appropriate.

40hz:
May be 40hz can comment on whether that sounds appropriate.
-ewemoa (June 04, 2014, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

:huh: On a virtual machine, I can't see any good reason to put your virtual drive(s) under an additional layer of abstraction. So no - I wouldn't use LVM in a VM. Others may feel differently. Or possibly have some reason to do so. But I couldn't think of any.

re:virtualbox-guest-x11 & virtualbox-guest-utils

I've got those two packages installed too.

I can't really comment from experience on how well VirtualBox works with Nix in a Wintel environment. Because I always try to stick to Microsoft's own virtualization software for Windows. To my mind, it's easier and safer to use whatever Microsoft offers - or go with VMware Workstation. (Especially since I bit the bullet and finally bought a copy.)  :mrgreen:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version