ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

We Drove a Car While It Was Being Hacked

(1/7) > >>

Renegade:
Interesting...

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/we-drove-a-car-while-it-was-being-hacked?trk_source=popular

As I drove to the top of the parking lot ramp, the car's engine suddenly shut off, and I started to roll backward. I expected this to happen, but it still left me wide-eyed.

I felt as though someone had just performed a magic trick on me. What ought to have triggered panic actually elicited a dumbfounded surprise in me. However, as the car slowly began to roll back down the ramp, surprise turned to alarm as the task of steering backwards without power brakes finally sank in.

This wasn't some glitch triggered by a defective ignition switch, but rather an orchestrated attack performed wirelessly, from the other side of the parking lot, by a security researcher.
--- End quote ---

Looking to upgrade your 2013 Cadillac to a 1977 Chevy? ;D

40hz:
Small surprise. Homeland Security and a number of police agencies have been lobbying for a law requiring that car makers provide the police with the ability to remotely disable any motor vehicle. It would make a nice addition to the inaccessibly embedded GPS tracker they also want installed in every car. Nice to see some manufacturers are getting a jump on it in anticipation of those proposed regulations being adopted. And including those "features" shouldn't add more than a few hundred dollars to the price the consumer would have to pay next time they bought a car.

Ain't electronics and wireless technology a grand thing? Wearing chains is so much easier to ignore when they're mostly invisible.

One nation, under surveillance, with monitoring and kill switches for all!  

rgdot:
Car computer whole disk encryption  :-\

:D

Stoic Joker:
Looking to upgrade your 2013 Cadillac to a 1977 Chevy?-Renegade (May 31, 2014, 08:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Damn Straight!

...And that boys and girls, is precisely why my latest project is the high-performance restoration of an antique vehicle. With all control and management input to be direct pilot access only cogs and cables.

Innuendo:
The sad, and scary, part about all this is how trivially easy it is to do. Spending a little time with Google is all a person needs to do in order to become adept at this.

Although affecting a much smaller segment of the population, there are ways to hack the new network-enabled pacemakers on the market. How's that for taking things to a whole new level of scary?

We'll keep on this dark path until companies wake up one day and realize that 0000 (and other similar codes) is not an acceptable default access password to their product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version