ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TrueCrypt alternative

<< < (14/14)

IainB:
Coincidentally, I just read this in my feed-reader: Governments of the World Agree: Encryption Must Die!.
I think the writer makes a point - or two - but probably nothing that we collectively might not have already independently observed.
However, the article got me to thinking: Wouldn't it be a piece of bad luck if, for some merely technical reason, TC and other perfectly good encryption systems discussed in this thread were not supported by new operating systems or file systems ... for example, (say) in Win10 or later?    :tellme:

TaoPhoenix:
Coincidentally, I just read this in my feed-reader: Governments of the World Agree: Encryption Must Die!.
I think the writer makes a point - or two - but probably nothing that we collectively might not have already independently observed.
However, the article got me to thinking: Wouldn't it be a piece of bad luck if, for some merely technical reason, TC and other perfectly good encryption systems discussed in this thread were not supported by new operating systems or file systems ... for example, (say) in Win10 or later?    :tellme:
-IainB (June 04, 2015, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

"Never assume malice before assuming incompetence". Except here they begin to twist together...

I'll bring up the harmless case ... Media Center. Of all the stuff that's falling off the page with the Win 10 upgrade, why is THAT suddenly getting nuked?

Linking about three things together, (from NeoWin's copy) "If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed."  I haven't dug, but I didn't see any splashy reasons why - this from the company that prided itself on supporting stuff back to like Dos 3.x or something. So Media Center was important enough to be part of two full iterations of the OS, and now it is going to "be removed"?! What is THAT?!

The other ones are fiddling with versions of stuff, but this is a major application that is mysteriously "getting removed". It's not about the media ... it's about "____ getting removed when you upgrade". Now mash that up with their announced "rolling upgrades" and how we're all nervous at the lack of hardcoded iso's or whatever for milestones. It's that whole "we are changing what you think your OS will do. Pray we don't change it further when we decide TrueCrypt will be removed when you upgrade."

ewemoa:
Fix two TrueCrypt vulnerabilities reported by James Forshaw (Google Project Zero)
  CVE-2015-7358 (critical): Local Elevation of Privilege on Windows by abusing drive letter handling.
  CVE-2015-7359: Local Elevation of Privilege on Windows caused by incorrect Impersonation Token Handling.

--- End quote ---

via https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Release%20Notes

panzer:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/truecrypt-is-safer-than-previously-reported-detailed-analysis-concludes/

Midnight Rambler:
Critical flaws found in open-source encryption software VeraCrypt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version