ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

TrueCrypt is Now Abandonware?!

<< < (15/16) > >>

40hz:
Well...if the creators of TrueCrypt wanted their app to spark a lively debate and leave a bit of mystery that might never disappear off the radar screen (remember Amelia Earhart, the Philadelphia Experiment, and D.B. Cooper?), having it shut down without explanation (other than some nonsensical recommendations) was one good way to almost guarantee that happening.

I'm starting to think there's definitely some game in play here. Whether it's just a publicity stunt, or something deeper (and possibly darker) is anybody's guess.

We can speculate endlessly in the absence of anything concrete. The web excels at that sort of endeavor.

Which just might be the real goal here... 8)

Renegade:
Well, I'm not an expert in Latin by any stretch. And I've probably forgotten far more that I remember. But the way that sentence is constructed seems more like a transliteration using a robo-translator. So while the words map out to the same words in English, it's not the way I'd suspect a Roman - or somebody who is well acquainted with the Latin language - would have said it. I personally would have thought the sentence would have started with something like "Si vis" (if you want to), which is a fairly common construct.
-40hz (June 16, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Point taken there.

Now go ahead and try to encode that in an English sentence as purported to have been done above with the same meaning. ;)

My guess is that if the message is real, any discrepancies with proper Latin grammar, etc., can be relatively safely attributed to the difficulty in creating an English sentence to properly fit.

But, who knows?

It is certainly interesting, and could very well be real. Or a simple coincidence. e.g. When you listen to any language backwards, at some point you will hear "messages". This happens in all languages. If you played with my "Satanic Music Detector", you will have heard this many times. One of my favourites that I found was in a Slayer song where they sing "666" but backwards it sounds like "kiss kiss kiss".

It would be interesting to know a bit more about whether the same sort of phenomena happens for the first letter/sound/phonem e in a word across a sentence.

40hz:
My guess is that if the message is real, any discrepancies with proper Latin grammar, etc., can be relatively safely attributed to the difficulty in creating an English sentence to properly fit.
-Renegade (June 16, 2014, 08:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Certainly. But also remember that these people are cryptographers. I don't think getting it to work using a real Latin sentence would have been much of a challenge for them.

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

Certainly. But also remember that these people are cryptographers. I don't think getting it to work using a real Latin sentence would have been much of a challenge for them.

-40hz (June 16, 2014, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure about that. While it may very well be possible to do, there's the aesthetic aspect. But, I really don't know. This is all just conjecture and speculation. I know that often in writing I have to settle for something that is suboptimal for one reason or another. Just because I can set and achieve a goal doesn't mean that the goal will work out. There are times when I am forced to go for a second rate solution. I'm pretty sure that most people have had that happen where they had to settle for second best for one reason or another.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

-40hz (June 16, 2014, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe not much of a challenge on the surface.  The challenge is in doing so in a way that our Neighborhood Shopping Allies can't prove it was done intentionally.  Thus mistakes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version