ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

TrueCrypt is Now Abandonware?!

<< < (14/16) > >>

40hz:
That's not Latin.  Not even near in the same neighborhood as Latin.
-wraith808 (June 16, 2014, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Shhhsh! Don't let facts get in the way of a good story! ;D

And yeah, that was the "stretch" part for me too! Far too many years of schooling plus attending  Latin Masses not to recognize Latin when I see/hear it . :D

Stoic Joker:
@wraith & 40 - Okay, so if you two agree that that ain't Latin ... I'm inclined to put my money (so to speak) on that ain't Latin. Because left to my own devices...I've not a friggin clue.

But... If one follows Ren's link up the rabbit's asshole for a bit they run across this Reddit discussion regarding the viability of basically hacking/gaming Googles translation service. In support of the theory, one poster gives this link that appears to show the translation is valid.

So it appears that this could spiral for a bit if the message was perceived as perhaps being based on a popular misconception. Or are there dialects - for lack of a better term - of Latin that may/could apply?

Edit:
Just tried Bing translate, and it auto-detected the language as Romainian and translated it as: im with the nsa and uti

40hz:
Okay, so if you two agree that that ain't Latin ... I'm inclined to put my money (so to speak) on that ain't Latin.
-Stoic Joker (June 16, 2014, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'm not an expert in Latin by any stretch. And I've probably forgotten far more that I remember. But the way that sentence is constructed seems more like a transliteration using a robo-translator. So while the words map out to the same words in English, it's not the way I'd suspect a Roman - or somebody who is well acquainted with the Latin language - would have said it. I personally would have thought the sentence would have started with something like "Si vis" (if you want to), which is a fairly common construct.

This however may also be a clearer proof there's such a hidden message than otherwise. Very few people bother to learn real Latin these days. And most of what does get presented as a Latin phrase is really just English run through Google trans.

;)

Stoic Joker:
This however may also be a clearer proof there's such a hidden message than otherwise. Very few people bother to learn real Latin these days. And most of what does get presented as a Latin phrase is really just English run through Google trans.-40hz (June 16, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shit.

...That's kinda where I was headed with it...and I really wanted to be wrong.

TaoPhoenix:
This however may also be a clearer proof there's such a hidden message than otherwise. Very few people bother to learn real Latin these days. And most of what does get presented as a Latin phrase is really just English run through Google trans.-40hz (June 16, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shit.

...That's kinda where I was headed with it...and I really wanted to be wrong.
-Stoic Joker (June 16, 2014, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

We're starting to get into meta territory where I smell a court case brewing. The strange part of that whole "neither ... *nor deny*" phrase is ... well... I deny getting a national security letter at my home!

But what people such as users want to know is the Confirm part that the recipient is not easily supposed to do. But sending these coded signals ... is (presumably) confirming it! So I don't get that if these agencies go to all this trouble to deliver these nasty letters, and the recipient sends a canary message, maybe the govt *can't* sue the recipient because that would confirm the letter!

Also, "The first rule of the NSA Letter Club is not to talk about the NSA Letter Club", does interesting things to the legendary court phrase "Truth, Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth". What do you even do? "I swear to tell as much of the Truth as I am legally allowed to"?!

>:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version