ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problem:1 cable modem 150/20 mbps & 1 fiber line 5/5mbps how to distribute best

<< < (4/4)

Stoic Joker:
they decided to jump on that Godaddy /Microsoft combo hosted 365 exchange  !!:(
I can say this .  IF???>>> they ever get ther bugs worked out,  This is one amazing commo package.  I am not a "frills tech".  I only care a bout reliability and speed.
-questorfla (May 22, 2014, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can't speak for GoDaddy's offering, but I have clients that subscribed directly to the full MS Office365 package which they're accessing through a "business grade" AT&T DSL connection, and the results are exceptionally impressive. At least to my eyes.-40hz (May 22, 2014, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Being that we're an MS Cloud services partner, I had to hang back and let you take point on this one. But yes, even with my unbridled hatred for all things ~Cloud~ I really like the Office365 hosted exchange ...(which is why we're an MS Cloud Partner)... And have a few quite happy clients on it as well.

In some respects. it's potentially more confusing for people who have been handling this stuff for years. Because the usual tools used to do it don't apply to Office365. You have learn (and use) the O365 admin interface. Microsoft has made it as simple as possible for a non-IT person to use. So much so that we "pros" sometimes get a little tripped up and confused because...well...it really can't be that easy, right?

Well guess what? It is. ;D
-40hz (May 22, 2014, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yepper, it is that. My first trip out was a total baptism by fire because I had to pull 60 calendars from Google, 20 mail boxes from Yahoo, and 1,000+ contacts from all over hell and gone...and get it all stuffed into the remotely hosted Exchanger server straight and under/accessible to the right users. Only took a day or so to get sorted out and it's been smooth sailing from then on.

questorfla:
 :Thmbsup:
As usual. after a whole week of asking every board I could fine (most of whom wont even bother to reply to an IM )
Almost everything I need is right here at "home"  DC.! :P

OK. I can't fight COX.  Like fighting a pig.  You cant win and just get dirty.  The fact I am old enough to be his father and been doing this since before he could walk makes NO difference.
I agree.  IDIOT.
BUT
unfortunately he speaks the idiocy of our ISP.  What was really FUNNY  was seeing the look n the techs face the first time he connected his test set and ran a speed test on the fiber.    PEGGED the meter 5 times.    :'( :'( ;D

Started blathering something about some "speed boost" technology that "sometimes' gives false readings!
 8) LMAO. 

He turns away fast after the 5th run and calls office.  45 minutes later we are smoothing along at 5gbps.  No more 150 fiber for us.  Glad I made plenty of screen shots to prove it was there to start with. 
But in all honesty. the company was NOT paying for it so... we should not have ever had it anyway. Sure was nice :-\

But their BS about the managed and unmanaged switches was just too much to handle and he refused to back down.
Said the fact I could plug my GB router in to their Modem and the "idiot light" stayed green proved it.
Plug in a switch.  ANY switch. any port. did not matter.  Dropped off to 5gbps.

Plug same switches into router and even cascading them did not slow down a whit.
So.
What to do?  If I buy my OWN CABLE MODEM.  (Which we can do) ..  Any recommendations of which one easiest to bridge?  The officer manager has decided I "don't know a thing about networking" and he is falling down to please the COX tech (because the COX rep is his golfing buddy).  So I am voited an >>>Idiot!<<< :tellme:

I REALLY need that speed split up before the router.  The Web Servers are Web-Service Servers and need the 150 if we can get it.
The office router also Needs to 150 to provide enough BW for the users to live by the "Cloud" .  They need CLOUD so they can access from anywhere.  Until they blocked port 445 I used to map them back to the office server with ZERO problems for years now.
Some (those not on COX like ME  :D  still do get full speed mapping.  But COX has this area pretty sewed up.
IF anyone (Stoic and 40hz you guys seem to have a similar setup
But mine is done for cheapskates who wont put up the bux for the good stuff.. It STILL SHOULD get better than 5mbps though)  AND  it always DID until they went to 150.  at 50 we got 5.  At 100 we got 5  At 150 we still got 5.

At least they are consistent.  BUT.  Slap in a router.  ANY router it seems and off she goes. 

I'm sort of OK with that IF... there was a way to pass through the static IP's to the end-points.  Each of those little web-service boxes has its own small router (just for use as a simple firewall) .
They are not the problem either. 
IF>> I go to the COX modem> Office router  >  Other router on DHCP (or static in the 192.168.xxx.xxx band) with the final server on a single static ip at 10.0.50.100 with port 80 and a few others forwarded to it.

I think that looks right. Anyway. I can get the full 150 (or close).
but it is worthless as a webserver.  They gave me 6 static IPS to use with the Cable Service.
Then started blathering about me not having a managed switch so it would not work.
I can't argue that if I use a single GB router. it DOES pass through.  Nor that no matter how many switches I run it thrugh after that router I still get 150.

But I don't see a way to get 5 website servers on the 0other side of it  unless  split off before the first router.
This is the way I have done it for years and never had a single problem till now.

I know this is all Cheap consumer grade stuff but a $200+ GB switch should be able to handle the input fro a single cable modem shouldn't it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version