ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Debian Tails OS question

(1/5) > >>

bit:
I had been watching a 50-part Japanese historic video drama series at www.drama.net without a problem.
Then today, clicking on the next episode, as the web page came up in Firefox, it was blocked by anti-malware warnings that the actual feed was a known 'attack page'.
Out of curiosity, I tried the same thing in Chrome, which independently gave me very much the same warning.
Just for safety's sake, I ran Adwcleaner, JRT.ext (Junkware Removal Tool), Malwarebytes, and Hitman Pro scans and turned up clean.

My question is; what if I was to insert my Debian Tails OS disk and boot from that, and then try to watch the video drama on the 'attack page' with that.
That is, assuming that Debian Tails will enable me to even see the videos.

I seem to recall glib reassurances that it is supposed to be safe to run without any AV protection at all using something like Debian Tails; which actually sounds a bit suicidal.

Would I be endangering my computer by doing this?
At the moment, my default answer to my own question is 'Don't try it' as too risky.
If nothing else, what if something infected my mobo with a root kit or something?

Anyways, I'll be searching around for a different source of the drama series, which is known as 'Fuurin Kazan'.
Hope to hear back from someone.
And BTW, would any other bootable OS be more advisable instead of Debian Tails?
Or should I update my copy that is several months old?

Or what about using the basic TOR Vidalia Firefox browser (which BTW never allows me to watch any videos at all on its browser).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

bit:
Okay, I already found a clean source of 'Fuurin Kazan' at www.epdrama.com that doesn't provoke any malware warnings.
It's also on youtube, but Ep 21 was goofed up and ran the 'Pt 1' (of 4 parts) 3 times in a row and was missing parts 2 through 4, so epdrama seems best.
But I would still be curious about if it's safe to use disk-bootable Debian Tails without any AV protection, or any other comments about it please.

Edvard:
A 'Live' Linux disk will do no harm at all, as long as you don't do anything that exposes personal info (like check your email through a browser interface) or mount any of the hard disks on the computer.  Once you take the CD out of the computer, it's all gone without a trace, so should be perfectly safe.  

As far as Linux (or most other Unix-like "alternative" OSs besides Apple's), experience has shown them generally safer than other OSs, as far as viruses go (and I won't go into the myriad reasons and arguments behind that claim, thankyouverymuch); browser-based attacks attempting to scrape personal info from cookies and cache are far more common for the average user.  I've been using Linux for 12 years now, and have had exactly 0 viruses.  
'Operator error'  has tanked more of my systems than malware and virii ever could. :-[

bit:
A 'Live' Linux disk will do no harm at all, as long as you don't do anything that exposes personal info (like check your email through a browser interface) or mount any of the hard disks on the computer.  Once you take the CD out of the computer, it's all gone without a trace, so should be perfectly safe.  

As far as Linux (or most other Unix-like "alternative" OSs besides Apple's), experience has shown them generally safer than other OSs, as far as viruses go (and I won't go into the myriad reasons and arguments behind that claim, thankyouverymuch); browser-based attacks attempting to scrape personal info from cookies and cache are far more common for the average user.  I've been using Linux for 12 years now, and have had exactly 0 viruses.  
'Operator error'  has tanked more of my systems than malware and virii ever could. :-[
-Edvard (May 21, 2014, 12:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you very much.
So you're saying to physically unplug my HD before booting from a live Linux DVD?
That would be if I wanted to surf the web I take it; but if I wanted to stay off the web and work on a few text files on my HD I could leave the HD plugged in I suppose.

How would I make a few basic mods to the Linux OS on the DVD, such as adding DimScreen or OpenOffice and burning it to DVD again?

Could I boot from the live Linux DVD, then do a 'hot' plug-in of my SATA HD as needed to transfer a few things like DimScreen, then do a 'hot' unplug of the SATA HD again?

What's the latest and greatest Linux flavor people recommend now?

Gee, my Win7 32-bit can only make use of 3GB of my available 4GB RAM; maybe a live bootable Linux could enable all 4GB.

bit:
What I would like to be able to do is to boot in Debian or other Linux flavor, customize my Desktop and other optionals, save the file to HD, then reburn to DVD and boot from that.
But I seem to remember trying that and failing to boot with the modified OS.
So is there a way to do all that, or is it not possible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version