ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

End of 35mm film - long live digital - or is it?

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Saw this on CNET

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6533315.html?tag=blog&tag=nl.e501

Interesting. I must admit I mostly use digital these days but I have 5 film cameras (3 by Canon) and in some ways would hate to see 35mm disappear completely - mainly because 35mm quality digital images are still way out of the budget of most photographers.

Presumably if 35mm cameras start to disappear it won't be long before processing becomes difficult too - there is already a move for the cheap processing labs in the UK to shut up shop!

Is it a good thing or not? Discuss ... (you can tell I am in teacher mode can't you ;))

Political ... cautionI got this from the newsletter here and there is an interesting, scary, item on National Identity cards which has caused a bit of resentment (and will no doubt cause more) in the UK recently. I don't intend this to be the start of a political discussion but it was an interesting read with technological and social implications.

app103:
I think it will be awhile before processing completely disappears being that having professional quality prints is still something people want even if all they have is a digital camera.

People still can't edit photos like a pro too, meaning if you want your pics looking their best you'd still have to let a pro handle them, digital or not.

And what parent wants to let their child take an expensive digital camera on a class trip when it would make more sense to hand them a disposable 35mm?

What about weddings where it has become kind of customary to put a disposable camera on each table at the reception and let your guests snap pics for you?

35mm isn't going anywhere till disposable digital replaces the disposable 35mm. (is there even such thing as disposable digital cameras yet?)

btw...I still own a 110 that is near impossible to buy film for these days, and that is a sad thing.

and mouser...where is the quick reply in this section of the forum?  :huh:

Carol Haynes:
You can get very cheap (or even free) digital cameras which are great for kids and don't have cost implications for getting stuff developed. The pictures are adequate for displaying on screen but not for printing but it is only a matter of time before 3Mp cameras arrive in the cornflake box!

Quick reply should be at the bottom of the thread - I am using it now ???

koncool:
In my opinion 35mm film won't disappear. Also, don't take megapixels for granted. Why does a Jaga camera at 8mp capture terrible photographs of unprintable quality, when my Camedia C1400L at 1.4mp (okay, its an SLR camera but still...) has better quality? So, there are other factors to take into consideration, such as the quality of the CCD etc.

rjbull:
Presumably if 35mm cameras start to disappear it won't be long before processing becomes difficult too
-Carol Haynes (May 26, 2006, 04:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I look through Amateur Photographer every week (mostly for the adverts), and haven't yet seen anything about Canon dropping film camera manufacture.

I only (normally) shoot 35mm transparency film, and get it processed at a local professional photographer's place on the nearest tradng estate.   They shoot some digital, but still enough film to put an E6 process on every day.  Maybe it won't be so easy for casual users to find processing houses, but no doubt larger mail-order places like Peak Processing - oops, now Peak Imaging - will keep going for quite a while.  Peak are in Sheffield, I think, not a million miles from the CarolHaynes mansion?

It's not just the film, either.  Lenses and ancillaries aren't always available for digital cameras, and if they are, they're very expensive.  I've not yet seen a shift lens for digital advertised, for example; very wide lenses are rare or non-existent; no digital Hasselblad XPan yet (OK I know you can make panoramas digitally, but it's extra work).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version