ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Want to make some extra coin? Like a LOT of extra coin? BIG BOUNTY!

<< < (3/6) > >>

Renegade:
No. It's not so much people suck as they get weird - and do weird things - around money.
-40hz (May 18, 2014, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that it's money.  I think it's the same thing that everything has been rooted to before money even existed as a concept- power.  All else is just an expression of this.  Power corrupts- and all of the expressions of it also.
-wraith808 (May 18, 2014, 09:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Stoic Joker:
No. It's not so much people suck as they get weird - and do weird things - around money.
-40hz (May 18, 2014, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that it's money.  I think it's the same thing that everything has been rooted to before money even existed as a concept- power.  All else is just an expression of this.  Power corrupts- and all of the expressions of it also.
-wraith808 (May 18, 2014, 09:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1
-Renegade (May 18, 2014, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

+2 - I gotta go with wraith on the power corrupts/people suck assessment also. Humans are the most savage animal on the planet, we also suffer the most self-righteous desire to inflict our will on our surroundings. So regardless of how sophisticated a machination may be orchestrated - rules and guidelines get woven into ropes - by those in the know (e.g. control). Making it at its core (intent...) simple savagery as the weak get consumed to achieve a goal.

40hz:
Man! What an ugly world some of you are living in. Sure glad I don't live there!  ;D

wraith808:
Man! What an ugly world some of you are living in. Sure glad I don't live there!  ;D
-40hz (May 19, 2014, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not an ugly world.  Just one in which most people will act in their own best self-interest.  There are some that can resist the lure of power, but it is a rare person.  And usually those people are chosen by circumstance, rather than seekers of the post.  The key to resistance, IMO, is the idea of servant-hood rather than control.  And too many people in power don't realize that noblesse oblige is not just for nobles- or more simply, with great power comes great responsibility.  If you take that responsibility in the way intended, i.e. to serve and not to control, to be wielded by and not to be wielded, then you can end up with a very good leader.

Pretty alien, these days.

Stoic Joker:
Man! What an ugly world some of you are living in. Sure glad I don't live there!  ;D
-40hz (May 19, 2014, 09:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's life in the big city, the law of the jungle, life on the streets, or just me being wordy and pragmatic at the same time. You yourself have said not to try solving a people problem with technology ... And that too agrees with the other. Because the problem lies with the wanton desire to circumvent the system...not the system itself. Sure it's human nature to be curious and explore the limits. I just think it's incredibly foolish to keep trying to gloss over and ignore the existence of the predatory aspects of human nature.

Kind of like C. S. Lewis' famous quote:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. Their very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be ‘cured’ against one’s will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.-C. S. Lewis
--- End quote ---

...Now why do you recon that keeps happening? Is/was it a flaw in the "system" ... Or maybe was it (human nature) just us?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version