ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Our experiences with LED light bulb replacements

<< < (12/13) > >>

mouser:
I have not had great experience with candelabra LEDs.

The biggest problem is if you have a candelabra fixture where the bulbs are mounted facing upwards.  A traditional incandescent candelabra shines a ton of light downward, but this is not the case with ANY LED i have come across, and it's much worse with candelabra LEDs where the base inevitably blocks most of the light.

xtabber:
The biggest problem is if you have a candelabra fixture where the bulbs are mounted facing upwards.  A traditional incandescent candelabra shines a ton of light downward, but this is not the case with ANY LED i have come across, and it's much worse with candelabra LEDs where the base inevitably blocks most of the light.
-mouser (October 29, 2015, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

True, but candelabra fixtures are the least efficient way to light an area anyway.  The main reason to use them is for decorative purposes.  Candelabra chandeliers look more and more like relics from the past, but I have found that I actually prefer LED candelabra flame bulbs to incandescents in some wall sconces, for the very reason that the light spreads better horizontally than below the fixture.

Also, the lighting fixtures for most ceiling fans now seem to require E12 (candelabra base) bulbs, possibly to prevent people from putting high wattage bulbs in them.  That's one situation easily resolved with E12 to E26 adapters -- you don't want flame bulbs there anyway.

Renegade:
I was going to post this in the basement where we have a discussion about lighting, but I think it has some broader appeal, and this thread might be good for it.

http://cynic.me/2015/10/31/soldering-the-wrong-leds-into-the-right-fixture/

Just me soldering some lighting fixtures to work after I screwed up.

Stoic Joker:
I have not had great experience with candelabra LEDs.-mouser (October 29, 2015, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hay, at least you have it narrowed down to a specific instance. Despite having carried an LED flashlight for the past several years, I cannot for the life of me get past the - mentally hardwired - perception that without the cast of yellowish incandescent light I can actually see what I'm looking at.

But more on topic-er-ish...
The biggest problem is if you have a candelabra fixture where the bulbs are mounted facing upwards.  A traditional incandescent candelabra shines a ton of light downward, but this is not the case with ANY LED i have come across, and it's much worse with candelabra LEDs where the base inevitably blocks most of the light.-mouser (October 29, 2015, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Two different ideas come to mind:
1. (assuming the ceiling is while) Can you go with a brighter/harsher version of an LED bulb pointing straight up and work with the indirect/reflected light from the ceiling?

2. (This one is aesthetically subjective) Can you take down and disassemble the fixture, and then reassemble it with the bulbs pointing down ... without making it look completely horrid (or electrocuting yourself for that matter)?

mouser:
2. (This one is aesthetically subjective) Can you take down and disassemble the fixture, and then reassemble it with the bulbs pointing down ... without making it look completely horrid (or electrocuting yourself for that matter)?
-Stoic Joker (October 31, 2015, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

no this is an antique dining room chandelier with shades.. however, it's not so precious and i think the solution is to replace it with a nice big ceiling fan with normal sized LED bulbs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version