ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for a 6U rackmount atx chassis.

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
@SJ - a gigging computer is a PC that usually packs into a 4U fiberglass flight case and is trucked around to music gigs by a musician. Most are built in a ruggedized rack mount form factor which slots very nicely into these cases.-40hz (May 16, 2014, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I did start by saying I had no idea WTF I was talking about for a reason... ;)

Okay but seriously... I just got back from a client that has a 6U Dell PowerEdge 6800 server that they were thinking about putting on Ebay ...(we're about to refresh all their hardware)... Would that be good/work for the task at hand?

superboyac:
@SJ - a gigging computer is a PC that usually packs into a 4U fiberglass flight case and is trucked around to music gigs by a musician. Most are built in a ruggedized rack mount form factor which slots very nicely into these cases.

That Antec is nice. But it wouldn't last half a road trip tossed in the back of a band van with a ton of keyboards, amps, and guitars.

@SB - FWIW, Sweetwater has these PCs last I heard. Configured, tested and ready to roll.

But question: why not a laptop instead?  And more to the point, why not a Macbook or iPad? That's pretty much the defacto go-to platform for mobile/road use. Moog has even released  iPad-only based synths. And ProTools runs on Mac...so...

What apps are you planning on running on it?
-40hz (May 16, 2014, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ok ok!  As with most superboyac® builds, it is far too much overkill.  And I'm ok with that, to a point.  I overkill to a point. (or to a tee!)

It's more than a gigging computer.  It's primarily a gigging computer, but I will also use it for LAN-type parties, MAME parties (after I rig it with the music stuff, I'm going to set it up for MAME).  I also want to take advantage of windows 8 touch stuff, and see if i can incorporate a live recording setup with it.

I've tried the laptop for years.  I've never been satisfied, even as they've gotten more powerful over the years.  I don't like the things I have to go through for cables, power, usb ports, other ports.  It's size is convenient for portability, but it's size is a hassle for using during the gig.  You can see me using a laptop here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNCSLEGyWA
(I have a freaking AMAZING story about the commenter in the comments there)

This is all somewhat of an experiment.  The last few months, I've been very happy with the state of sampled music stuff.  Now that SSDs have become the norm and with the huge amounts of RAM we can do, there are things possible that I couldn't really pull off by myself even 5 years ago.  Especially the things with the samples.  Huge samples have been available for years, but SSDs and RAM have made them playable live now.  So I now have great sounding acoustic bass, brush drums, piano, saxophone (breath controller).  So just recently, I've been putting together arrangements that I'll be able to play live with a backup band that I am satisfied with (me!).  I've effectively been able to clone myself for live music.  And that, my friend, is the narcissist's ultimate fantasy.

I don't know how effective this will be, so I want a full rig to lug around while i figure it out.  I considered a laptop, the REceptor Muse vst machine, etc.  but I want the big rig.  I'll totally overkill it, and if the music fails it will be another powerful pc for me to play with.

And next up will be my server "mini-me" build that I detailed in the other thread!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version