ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: Linux Lite - viable 1st Linux alternative for XP and Vista users

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
A requirement of 1024x768 rules out my netbook. )c: It's a measly 1024x600.
-Deozaan (May 16, 2014, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know how hard and fast that requirement is. An older version (v1.0.4) of Linux Lite was demoed on a 1024x600 Dell Netbook and it seemed to be fine with it.

Since it ships as a live CD it's easy to try on whatever you want to use prior to installation.

--------------------------------------

@Deo - ADDENDUM: Just dropped over to their IRC channel and one of their devs (Valtam) confirmed 1024x600 screen res should work just fine on all LL releases to date.

lanux128:
my netbook, MSI Wind U100 only appears in the archived H/W Database for version 1.0.6. does that mean the newer 1.0.8 won't run on my netbook? just want to clarify before taking the leap.

40hz:
my netbook, MSI Wind U100 only appears in the archived H/W Database for version 1.0.6. does that mean the newer 1.0.8 won't run on my netbook? just want to clarify before taking the leap.
-lanux128 (May 17, 2014, 11:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I specifically asked about the new v2.0 beta. Valtam said they all should be fine at 1024x600. I can't personally vouch for it because I don't own a netbook to test it on. Their IRC is on Freenode - #Linuxlite.  Why not drop by with your specifics and chat with them? Or visit their support forum here.

Again, it's a "live" CD -so you can run it without installing it first. That's always a good idea no matter which distro you're interested in.

lanux128:
I specifically asked about the new v2.0 beta. Valtam said they all should be fine at 1024x600. I can't personally vouch for it because I don't own a netbook to test it on. Their IRC is on Freenode - #Linuxlite.  Why not drop by with your specifics and chat with them? Or visit their support forum here.

Again, it's a "live" CD -so you can run it without installing it first. That's always a good idea no matter which distro you're interested in.-40hz (May 18, 2014, 02:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
thanks for the reply! since they're on Freenode, i will drop by and have a chat there. :)

the thing with netbooks is i can't use the "live cd". instead i have to go the "live usb drive" route which is a hit and miss with some of the thumb drives going undetected at boot-up but that's a story for another topic.

Deozaan:
Mine is also a MSI Wind, but it's a U120. I just installed Linux Mint Petra XFCE on it a month or two ago when XP was officially unsupported. It seemed to run really well for a day or two, but now is sluggish even though I don't think I installed anything since when it was still running pretty well. So maybe I'll try this Linux Lite as a Live USB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version