ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: Linux Lite - viable 1st Linux alternative for XP and Vista users

(1/4) > >>

40hz:
The good folks over at Linux Lite have just announced the release of version 2.0 beta of their already fine distro which is geared up for first time Nix users and reluctant refugees from Windows XP and Vista.

Based on Ubuntu LTS releases, the goal is stability, ongoing software support, a familiar interface, and high out-of-box usability. System requirements (700Mhz CPU/512Mb RAM/5Gb disk space/VGA 1024x768) are very modest and should run smoothly on anything Windows XP is currently running on.. If you're interested in seeing what this whole Linux thing is all about - or you're reaching the point where you have to move off Windows XP for whatever reason, this is an excellent distro to at least try out.

Here is a quick overview of the current v1.0.8 stable release:

Look for more information on Linux Lite here.

(Note: the homepage does not seem to be working correctly. So if you have trouble navigating the site, just return to www.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite.html. The tour and other pages don't appear to have this problem.

The 688MB 32-bit ISO can be directly downloaded from here.

rgdot:
 :up:

Thanks

Stoic Joker:
Posting From Linux Lite running in Hyper-V on Windows 8.1

...I can't really say I'm excited about it, but it does at least run. It also appears to have some native provision for the Hyper-V extensions as it's not capturing the mouse and forcing me to break it out with a hot-key when I transition from guest to host.

:Thmbsup:

40hz:
It also appears to have some native provision for the Hyper-V extensions as it's not capturing the mouse and forcing me to break it out with a hot-key when I transition from guest to host.
-Stoic Joker (May 16, 2014, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is really interesting. Maybe I'll ask the maintainers if they did do something with that.

And no...I'm not excited about it that much either. But I've been at this for a long time and very little in the Linux world is so "Oh wow man!" that It'll make me want to blow off the rest of the day and go party. ;D

That said, I do like this little distro. It works and has just enough "enough" to be genuinely useable, easy for a newcomer to get their head around, and simple (for closet BOFHs like us) to support if we had to.

For what it is, I think it's actually a nicely balanced little penguin. ;)

Deozaan:
A requirement of 1024x768 rules out my netbook. )c: It's a measly 1024x600.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version