ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Groundhog Day Loops

(1/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Just a little thread asking if people know of any other "Groundhog Day Time Loop" TV/Movie episodes. (For pedantic completeness, Groundhog Day with Bill Murray featured a man who lived the same day over and over until he achieved the mysteriously driven required personal growth to snap out of it.)

The other ones I know of so far are:
Star Trek Next Generation Season 5 Episode 18 (sometimes written as Se05 Ep18) Cause and Effect
Eureka I Do Over Season 3 Episode 4 (Se03 Ep04)
The entire series of Daybreak:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break
The entire series of Seven Days: (But he only gets one shot at it)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_%28TV_series%29

Different but an Also Ran for interest is the Star Trek Next Generation finale All Good Things but that's more of a multi shift than a true loop.

Same goes for Warehouse 13 Season 6 Episode 1 (Se06 Ep01) Endless Terror. That one is about alternate realities via time travel which is not my focus here. I'm looking for where the character is in his own same loop and eventually realizes it. Also similar but slower is of course the famous Star Trek Original Series Season 1 Episode 28 (Se01 Ep28) The City on the Edge of Forever. (And many more.)

(Quick Edit: There seems to be a Wiki page!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_loop
(And a TV Tropes page!)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StableTimeLoop

And so I think I am looking for examples that are not on those two pages. Also I think I want to focus on ones that are single episode long and multi loops featuring multiple restarts etc.
(This post has been brought to you by Crabby, who has now canonically documented my 12 minute obsessions that turn into 500 word posts that I only care about for a week!)
;D

40hz:
You could add But it would spoil the surprise reveal knowing that...Lunopolis

Also the film Run Lola Run

Worth it just to watch the incredibly underrated actress Franke Potente. ;)

8)

Also that recent Tom Cruise flick Edge of Tomorrow that loops but also does the Cassandra Predicament riff sorta...very close to Groundhog Day in "high concept." (Emily Blunt looking great while doing one of her trademark understated characters in this one.)

The epic action of "Edge of Tomorrow" unfolds in a near future in which an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world. 

Major William Cage (Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop—forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again...and again.
But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.
--- End quote ---

You might also want to consider Dark City. There is a groundhog loop - admittedly engineered every 24-hrs by an alien social experiment where everyone gets "reset" each night - but to the humans who are subject to it, it adds up to the same thing.

superboyac:
You might also want to consider Dark City. There is a groundhog loop - admittedly engineered every 24-hrs by an alien social experiment where everyone gets "reset" each night - but to the humans who are subject to it, it adds up to the same thing.
-40hz (May 14, 2014, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
I saw Dark City in college and it blew me away.  Great looking movie.

Shades:
Supernatural season 3 episode 11 - 'Mystery spot'  - Great episode, too bad this series went downhill so fast after season 6, especially after the (more than) excellent seasons 2 till 5. So many opportunities missed in season 6 till 9, it is a shame.

mouser:
There are some very good indie time travel movies that have been mentioned on the forum that have a groundhog-day element (for example Timecrimes).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version