ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

[Solved] SC freezes in 'Scanner Options'

(1/1)

lujomu:
Hi there!

I recently updated my SC installation from v3.08.01 to v4.8.2 and now every time I open the 'Scanner Options' dialog, SC freezes completely and I have to force close it in Task Manager. So as there is no scanner selected by default, I cannot start a scan. I also tried a completely new installation of SC with the same result.

I'm on Window 8.1 Pro x64 and using the portable version of SC. The scanner is an old Lexmark X2350 printer/scanner all-in-one device, but only the drivers for the scanner part are installed. Scanning works fine in SC v3.08.01 (have not tried versions in between) and the Windows internal fax and scan application.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Is there an archive of old SC versions, so I could figure out which is the latest version that works for me?

Thanks,
lujomu

mouser:
Hi lojomu.

That is troubling! SC is no doubt trying to get the list of scanners from the system at that point -- I wonder what could be making it hang.
I'd really like to resolve the issue so I may have to send you some debug versions to try to help me pin down the cause.
If old versions worked the new versions should be able to be made to work.

Can you try this version (4.0):
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/downloads/old/ScreenshotCaptorPortable_032713.zip

lujomu:
Thanks for your efforts! Whatever I can do to help resolve the issue, I am more than willing to provide! ;)

v4.0 works just fine.

I think I could narrow down the problem source a bit:
I noticed the 'Scanner Options' dialog changed slightly from v3.08.01 / v4.0 to 4.8.2. The 'Interface' listbox which let me choose between 'WIA' and 'TWAIN' has been removed (and I assume both interface types are enumerated automatically now). My scanner works with 'WIA' in v4.0 (and earlier), but if I deliberately choose 'TWAIN', I get the same freezing as with v4.8.2.

Maybe if I could force SC to only search for 'WIA' devices (maybe with an 'ScreenshotCaptor.ini' option) it would work and you would not have to reintroduce the 'Interface' listbox if it works just fine for the majority of users.

lujomu:
Solved it!

Investigated a bit more and the problem really seems to be the TWAIN interface.

I noticed that the ever increasing file '%Temp%\TWAIN.LOG' was created during freezes, containing lines such as:
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - DSM     ::DSM_Entry - Unserviced Message 113
TWAIN_32.DLL - MESSAGE - DSM     ::DSM_Entry - Unserviced Message 200
--- End quote ---

This lead me to the following forum post:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/37557-63-twain-driver-windows#9814785

The solution described there is to rename the .ds file for your scanner in the 'C:\Windows\twain_32\<ScannerName>' folder. Mine was 'C:\Windows\twain_32\2300 Series\lxcgtwds.ds' which I renamed to 'lxcgtwds.ds.old'.

After that the 'Scanner Options' dialog of Screenshot Captor finally listed the scanner (no restart required) and scanning now works as before!

mouser:
Awesome detective work, L  :up:

I'm going to add a note about this in the Screenshot Captor help document, and hopefully if someone else experiences it they will find this post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version