ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Recommend Debian based image for VMWare Player on W8?

<< < (4/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Yeah, I can't wait to set up a real computer room.  Just have a bunch of PCs with one or 2 OS at most on each and just network 'em.

It will be interesting to see how much of a pita GPT is with multiboot systems.  I haven't read up on it yet.  Other items at the front of the line.  I need to play around with web pages and see if I can't make a buck doing them.  But first I have to get any steady income.  Time to hit the job training centers and do the social worker schtick.  :)

40hz:

To me W8 is negligible except for the imperative to keep up for support work purposes. :)

Edit:  W8 I guess is at least a learning vehicle for GPT and EUFI stuff.  Other than that I hate it.
-MilesAhead (May 11, 2014, 07:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have less issues with Win8 than I did originally. But I still very much dislike it in its current incarnation. And I completely despise Microsoft's implementations (reinterpretations?) of GPT/UEFI. And I also don't much care for the Metro-like interface they slapped on top of Windows Server 2012 - although (with tolerance born of necessity) I'm getting used to it.

Other than that, Microsoft Rocks! (not) ;D :P

MilesAhead:
And I completely despise Microsoft's implementations (reinterpretations?) of GPT/UEFI.
--- End quote ---
  Sometimes I wonder how things would have gone without the presence of the 500 LB gorilla.  MS always did have a penchant for expropriating standards and morphing them so that the originator is out of compliance.  Kind of like a stock takeover where Joe Smith, founder, owner, and chief salesman for Joe Smith's Electronics, gets bought out.  They keep the name but get rid of Joe the person.  "But this is my company!"  Not anymore Joe.  :)

40hz:
^It's far more than a penchant.

It's a Microsoft strategy that's been dubbed: Embrace-Extend-Extinguish.

You take somebody else's idea or standard, embrace it with fanfare, load it up with proprietary additions and actively push the hell out of your "enhanced" version (which you control), and thereby extinguish the non-proprietary version.

Sad part is, it (mostly) worked beautifully for Microsoft so far.

MilesAhead:
I have to admit they seem to know exactly what they're doing when it comes to cornering a market.  :)

btw I'm downloading mint16 x64 iso now I just have to see how it runs when properly installed.  It doesn't seem sensible Linux would be slower than Windows.  Plus if I get lucky I may get to install it on a desktop.  :)

Now if PayPal would only bonus me that five large they have kicking around gathering dust.  Somebody not a brother inlaw must win sometime right?  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version