ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Recommend Debian based image for VMWare Player on W8?

<< < (3/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Thank you both.  :)

MilesAhead:
Heh.  This is a defragger's paradise.  They recommend defragging from inside the running VM(which I did by installing auslogics) then closing it and defragging the virtual drive from VMWare settings tools.  Then defragging the host's HD.

I did all that.  Bumped the ram for each VM up to 2 GB.  Alo running 4 GB of ReadyBoost.  I'm still not sure if RB is a placebo or actually does something besides making a 4 GB file on the USB.

In any case things are slightly spiffier.  W7 x64 is actually usable once it comes up.  Now I just need a real destop machine(and a real desk) to put it on.  The Mint is still pretty sluggish.  But at least I got to take a look at it.

40hz:
The Mint is still pretty sluggish.
-MilesAhead (May 11, 2014, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's likely because of the virtualization. That's why I think it's better to just run Linux live and off a USB key if you're not gonna install it for real. VMs are ok for occasional use. But for any sort of real day to day productivity, unless your machine has serious kahunas, the results are often disappointing running virtual under a Type-2 hypervisor (i.e. OS-level rather than baremetal) - which to me is more a glorified sandbox than a true virtual environment. (That's purely my opinion BTW. There are many who will strongly disagree with me on that point.  ;D)

But FWIW, I've got Mint 16 installed baremetal on a couple of older Core 2 Duo laptops with 4Gb RAM (and those slow laptop drives) and the response is very crisp. On my i5-powered box with 8Gb RAM, Mint flies.

8)

MilesAhead:
Another factor could be that this mint is an already configured machine.  The folder full of files is on E: partition whereas the other VMs were iso files that were then installed.  If I had a desktop right now I'd probably dual boot the W7 x64 and a mint distro,  I'd put all W8 and other on a machine with UEFI and GPT.

To me W8 is negligible except for the imperative to keep up for support work purposes. :)

Edit:  W8 I guess is at least a learning vehicle for GPT and EUFI stuff.  Other than that I hate it.  :)

superboyac:
The Mint is still pretty sluggish.
-MilesAhead (May 11, 2014, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's likely because of the virtualization. That's why I think it's better to just run Linux live and off a USB key if you're not gonna install it for real. VMs are ok for occasional use. But for any sort of real day to day productivity, unless your machine has serious kahunas, the results are often disappointing running virtual under a Type-2 hypervisor (i.e. OS-level rather than baremetal) - which to me is more a glorified sandbox than a true virtual environment. (That's purely my opinion BTW. There are many who will strongly disagree with me on that point.  ;D)

But FWIW, I've got Mint 16 installed baremetal on a couple of older Core 2 Duo laptops with 4Gb RAM (and those slow laptop drives) and the response is very crisp. On my i5-powered box with 8Gb RAM, Mint flies.

8)
-40hz (May 11, 2014, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have Mint on an old laptop ~2008 that is not very powerful at all, and Mint is very fast.  I also use virtual machine linux installations, i've tried a whole bunch.  VMs are always more sluggish, no matter what.  I use it like 40 says, as a sandbox to try stuff.  I have never done anything serious with VMs.  There's a great jazz sheet music app that is only available on Mac, and i use the VM for that.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version