ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Recommend Debian based image for VMWare Player on W8?

(1/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Recommend Debian based image for VMWare Player on W8?

I have VMWare Player set up on my Windows 8 Laptop.  I already have W7 Pro set up on it.  I'm looking for a Debian based Linux image that would install via the "easy" method.  Just to play around without a lot of effort.  It's been a long time since I toyed with Linux.  This VMWare Player makes it easy to get the basic system going.  So it's now or never.  :)

40hz:
If you're just getting back into the swing of things you might be better off to try installing to a bootable USB key - or just running off a live CD of debian - possibly with provisions made for persistence. VMs introduce a few oddball things to the mix that can trip you up and/or cause confusion if you're new to Linux.

AFAIK there are no official pre-built virtual images for Debian. If you want Wheezy, you'll need to do a regular install as a guest OS in VMWare last I heard,

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the info.  I did find a Mint14 VM for download.  It opened but at the moment it is downloading VMWare Tools for Linux.  I'll see how it goes.  :)

Edit:  I'm at the desktop.  Seems a bit sluggish.  I guess it is set for 1 GB ram usage.  The calculator came up.  So it's not dead.  :)

40hz:
^Most excellent! Keep us posted. I'm very interested in how it works out for you. Luck! :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Ah, that partition showed 27% fragmented from unpacking the files.  I'll see how it feels after the defrag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version