ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

An interesting look at what 'Big Data' means to privacy

<< < (3/4) > >>

Innuendo:
I wondered when my comments would invoke a rant. It's a very rant-worthy state of affairs we're in right now & what makes it worse...what makes it so infuriating...is all the invasion of privacy that is rampant from all directions and the vast majority of the population simply do not care.

I was discussing this and other things with my instructor and the topic of privacy in connection with law enforcement came up. There is technology available in patrol cars right now that features an always-on camera that is capturing license plate information and transmitting the data back to headquarters to be compared against a database looking for infractions. The privacy concern is that this technology could be easily modified to make tracking people's movements across the city a trivial affair. Since most people live fairly routine lives, it'd be easy with this information to make educated guesses where anyone was at any given time of the day.

It was very frustrating because no matter what point I made he failed to see that there was a privacy issue with this...or at least, any issue worthy of worry.

To loop this back to the OP, big data takes many forms. We are under the microscope in many ways in our daily lives that our parents and grandparents didn't have to worry about.

40hz:
It was very frustrating because no matter what point I made he failed to see that there was a privacy issue with this...or at least, any issue worthy of worry.
-Innuendo (May 04, 2014, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Precisely.

Unfortunately, as long as the average Joe can watch his sports programs on TV; get his nekkid' wimmen channels after the wife and kids have turned in; and not have to think about anything more than is absolutely necessary (because they've automated it) - he'll be ok with nearly anything that comes down the pike.

A friend of mine summed up their mindset as: "It's not my problem - so what's your problem?"

At least we don't need to worry about the coming American surveillance state any more. It's already here. :(

MilesAhead:

MilesAhead:
Unfortunately, as long as the average Joe can watch his sports programs on TV; get his nekkid' wimmen channels after the wife and kids have turned in; and not have to think about anything more than is absolutely necessary (because they've automated it) - he'll be ok with nearly anything that comes down the pike.
--- End quote ---

This made me think of the "steel belted radials" part of Beale's rant posted above.  :)

TaoPhoenix:
I just wondered that HIPAA seems to be one of the few law sets that everyone at least pays lip service to - sure I bet a few things happen ("Beneath the Surface" - Damn you LD overdose!) But at least the level of cross tracking seems way lower.

I wonder if things like Pregnancy count as "Medical" information, and then you can pull in HIPAA to slow something else down?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version