ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

An interesting look at what 'Big Data' means to privacy

(1/4) > >>

mwb1100:
How One Woman Hid Her Pregnancy From Big Data

For the past nine months, Janet Vertesi, assistant professor of sociology at Princeton University, tried to hide from the Internet the fact that she's pregnant — and it wasn't easy.

According to Vertesi, the average person's marketing data is worth 10 cents; a pregnant woman's data skyrockets to $1.50. And once targeted advertising finds a pregnant woman, it won't let up.
-http://mashable.com/2014/04/26/big-data-pregnancy/
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
She makes a scary point about how the act of just trying to avoid being tracked makes you appear immoral or criminal. And that right there is a problem. :(

MilesAhead:
I won't post song lyrics as they never read the same without the music.  But this does kind of make me think of the Jefferson Starship tune A Child Is Coming

Edit: btw clicking play the song wants to download something.  I didn't go there.  I remember how the song sounds.  :)

Innuendo:
She makes a scary point about how the act of just trying to avoid being tracked makes you appear immoral or criminal. And that right there is a problem. :(-Deozaan (May 02, 2014, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

This reminds me of some research I was doing for school that showed that if a person does *not* have a social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) people view that person as suspicious and as someone who has something to hide. Furthermore, employers look upon that employee (or potential employee) as someone who hasn't kept up with the times and that person is less desirable as an employee.

It's a brave, new world, Mr. Huxley.

Stoic Joker:
She makes a scary point about how the act of just trying to avoid being tracked makes you appear immoral or criminal. And that right there is a problem. :(-Deozaan (May 02, 2014, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

This reminds me of some research I was doing for school that showed that if a person does *not* have a social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) people view that person as suspicious and as someone who has something to hide. Furthermore, employers look upon that employee (or potential employee) as someone who hasn't kept up with the times and that person is less desirable as an employee.

It's a brave, new world, Mr. Huxley.
-Innuendo (May 02, 2014, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, so as long as I have a FaceBook page I can be considered/perceived as "current" regardless of my 70's wardrobe?? Far Out Man! :D

...Kidding aside ... This little peak at the current depth of the rabbit hole scared the shit out of me too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version