ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ludum Dare topic for other games

<< < (6/11) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
This looks It would be great if you would link to the respective LD29 entry page instead of (or in addition to) linking directly to these games so that people who play them can also rate them. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (May 07, 2014, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

This looks important:

"Observation about Rating System
Posted by Photon
May 6th, 2014 7:56 am

I’ve noticed something: it appears that the later you rate games on the site, the less it affects your “default” rating, which affects how likely it is you’ll get precedence for rating games.

This seems kind of counter-intuitive; we don’t want people to game the system (the dreaded “L”, heh) but if you want to get the most exposure it would seem that you have to rate things pretty much as fast as you can. I’m not necessarily the kind of guy who wants to cruise through 50 games in the following 24 hours of the jam, especially if I’m burnt out from making my own game. I’d rather take the time to play through 5 or 10 games a day and actually enjoy them instead of feeling like I need to conduct a ratings blitzkrieg.

I’m just not sure “how fast” you rated games should apply as strongly as it does now, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who doesn’t necessarily have the time or energy immediately following LD to knuckle down and thoughtfully play through a couple dozen games before we start getting penalized for late judging.

Not trying to raise a stink, but I thought this was worth bringing up and considering."
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2014/05/06/observation-about-rating-system/

TaoPhoenix:
 looks It would be great if you would link to the respective LD29 entry page instead of (or in addition to) linking directly to these games so that people who play them can also rate them. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (May 07, 2014, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

This looks important:

"Observation about Rating System
Posted by Photon
May 6th, 2014 7:56 am

I’ve noticed something: it appears that the later you rate games on the site, the less it affects your “default” rating, which affects how likely it is you’ll get precedence for rating games.

This seems kind of counter-intuitive; we don’t want people to game the system (the dreaded “L”, heh) but if you want to get the most exposure it would seem that you have to rate things pretty much as fast as you can. I’m not necessarily the kind of guy who wants to cruise through 50 games in the following 24 hours of the jam, especially if I’m burnt out from making my own game. I’d rather take the time to play through 5 or 10 games a day and actually enjoy them instead of feeling like I need to conduct a ratings blitzkrieg.

I’m just not sure “how fast” you rated games should apply as strongly as it does now, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who doesn’t necessarily have the time or energy immediately following LD to knuckle down and thoughtfully play through a couple dozen games before we start getting penalized for late judging.

Not trying to raise a stink, but I thought this was worth bringing up and considering."
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2014/05/06/observation-about-rating-system/

TaoPhoenix:
Jungle Noir:
A great little five minute Noir story with the barest of point-click gaming added in. Of course the premise is silly, but it's the overall execution that counts. Plus it's Phoeni Rated Easy! ('Cause you know if a game gets that from me it's really hard to lose!) : )
The voice acting really reminds me of my hero Allison Scagliotti from Warehouse 13!
:)

The LD Page:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?uid=19362

TaoPhoenix:
I've been going backwards in the blog posts, and this is one of my early "also ran" favorites:

"Drowning in problems"
- Note: It's all text, so absolutely no graphics.

Suggestion: Stay as "Human" before you hit the demoralizing final couple of stages!

The LD page:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=398

Direct web link:
http://game.notch.net/drowning/#

Burgerdare:
More on Undermined:

It looks like it's not sufficiently randomized when you open the program! And the first layout looks like it is close to unwinnable! It keeps giving you too many resources on the one you can't easily use, almost 80% more than either of the other two, and you "can't use them" on two of the other miners!

So if you die and restart the program, you are back at that draw again!

My next guess is to see how "standardized" the sequence is. It may be the first winnable one is X number of iterations in!

-- Well, the "preferences" seem to be the same, but the spread does move around a little, so it's unclear.

Update:

This is my best result so far: I saved a couple of miners:

-TaoPhoenix (May 07, 2014, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
TaoPheonix, I'm honored that you found my game worthwhile enough to mention it here. I'm even more honored, though, that you found it engaging enough to keep playing until you got a run where two miners survived, given that this is something that I haven't even managed to accomplish yet. I'd actually be really fascinated to hear more about the strategies you have developed/are developing, since my limited time making the game has left me without much time to actually master the strategies myself.

You've also made some very worthwhile critiques, and I really appreciate that you did so. As for the less-than-random generation, this is a bug that I was actually just about to look into, and you've saved me a bit of time by confirming that it exists. Turns out that I needed to set a seed for the number generator to use so that it's outputs would actually be random, which I was not aware of. I'll fix that A.S.A.P. and update the link on my compo page.

The bug with not detecting all actions being spent, I believe, is probably a result of having time leftover to open up to more miners. I had considered letting the player skip using these without getting a warning, but decided that it is still useful to know about the problems of one additional miner, even if you can't do anything about them. That extra info can come in handy the following round.

The question of difficulty, I'm afraid, isn't one I have an answer to just yet. I'm struggling to find a sweet spot where it's actually possible for everybody to survive while still constantly having the threat of complete failure. I'm going to keep at it, though, I assure you that much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version