ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

4 (Maybe more) Absolute top go-to programs

<< < (8/13) > >>

mouser:
I make no claim that thebat is better than any other client these days -- i have no idea.  just listing the programs that *i* depend on and appreciate.

xtabber:
Anyway, I've never found a good client option.  I hate Outlook.  i don't much like thunderbird. What else is there?  the other options seem to either be really old and unsupported or too new and overly simple.
-superboyac (May 10, 2014, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
I personally use SeaMonkey for email. It's sort of like Thunderbird for grown-ups. Being based on the Mozilla code, it is kept up to date with Thunderbird (and Firefox), but the email UI is much simpler and more palatable to me.

40hz:
Anyway, I've never found a good client option.  I hate Outlook.  i don't much like thunderbird. What else is there?  the other options seem to either be really old and unsupported or too new and overly simple.
-superboyac (May 10, 2014, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll agree. I never found an e-mail client I've much cared for either. And I've tried at least a dozen (or more) over the years. Closest I ever came to one I respected was Eudora when it still used the mbox data structure. And that was ages ago.

Outlook is what it is. And unless it's wedded to an Exchange server back end, most of it's real usefulness is absent and it's just 10 lbs of 'stuff' crammed into a 5 lb. bag. With the advent of Office365, access to an Exchange server is now affordable and doable even for an individual. But Outlook is still more geared towards use by workgroups and organizations than it is for individuals because its collaborative features are really what it's all about rather than its being just an e-mail client/PIM.

Scary thing is, Outlook may be as good as it gets right now. (And I don't like Outlook at all.)

Jibz:
I was a big fan of The Bat! for years, and I still think it's one of the best clients out there for "old-school" email use. I think I just got to the point, where for my personal use, there was no real change between versions, and I was still buying upgrades every year. I know I could just stick with the old version, but I always used the upgrade discounts. I tried Thunderbird at some point, and it worked fine for what I needed, plus had way better search at the time, so I figured I would stick with that and save the money.

My only real complaint about The Bat! was the proprietary format the mailboxes are stored in. You can't use things like MailStore for backups, and if something corrupts the mailbox you're pretty much screwed if you don't have a recent backup. As I remember it,  it was not straightforward getting your email out of The Bat! and into another program either.

CleverCat:
I use Voyager (Bat portable) and just export a batch of messages to a folder then import to Mail Store. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version