ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 29 - soooooo similar to Chrome

<< < (6/10) > >>

dr_andus:
No matter what I do, the header with the bookmarks toolbar always takes up more space (height) in FFrome than in Chrome. Is that because I'm using a Classic theme in Windows, rather than Aero? I wish they had copied Chrome a bit better ;)

TaoPhoenix:
I don't think the global Windows theme is at work here, I think it's the "Title Bar" that's making you grumpy.

I tried out the  Hide Caption Titlebar Plus 2.8.2 plugin here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-caption-titlebar-plus-sma/

Then you go into its options and try the following settings (different from how they start).

Though the orange button reappears, it's pretty close vertical space wise. I get:

TaoPhoenix:
Incidentally, using the Classic Theme Restorer, I managed to bludgeon back all the junk and my FF is actually usable again. With a bit of work, the important "top left" is back to old school style complete with menubar. But the funny thing is "if I get nostalgic" I have both the "Firefox button" and the new "Hamburger button", both of which have *different* subsets of the complete features laid out in the old school menus!

Sounds like a play question for you logic types, if you take 7 menus with 11+8+6+5+8+8+9=55 visible features/menus and try either of two attempts to smush it into 18 or 12, then stuff you used to know where to find gets harder! But I guess peoples "usability studies" decides that all those menus were "too hard" or something. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in modern UI a "menu" (by any other name) can't be avoided. It's just whether it says "File", or "Firefox" or ("Hamburger Icon") or ("Sprocket").

dr_andus:
I don't think the global Windows theme is at work here, I think it's the "Title Bar" that's making you grumpy.

I tried out the  Hide Caption Titlebar Plus 2.8.2 plugin here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/hide-caption-titlebar-plus-sma/
-TaoPhoenix (May 02, 2014, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great, thanks for that! It narrowed Chrome's advantage down to about 1 pixel, which I can live with ;)

TaoPhoenix:
Great, thanks for that! It narrowed Chrome's advantage down to about 1 pixel, which I can live with ;)
-dr_andus (May 02, 2014, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

You bet! Hehe "All the goodness of Firefox for one pixel!" (End used car salesman voice)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version