ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Races To Fix Massive Internet Explorer Hack

<< < (4/8) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I don't know about the hype, but when it's bad enough to make the government Microsoft change their default browser decision not to provide support for XP almost overnight, it's bad enough.
-Edvard (April 30, 2014, 09:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh with modifications we were hollering about over at Slashdot. : )

TaoPhoenix:
Wouldn't be surprised is MS knew about this before April 8 and waited to release the info to add even more marketting pressure to dump XP.

Beginning to want to wipe Windows 8 off this laptop and put XP back just to say screw MS
-Carol Haynes (April 29, 2014, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah right.

I installed Win7 over Xp in my old machine, when Xp support was ceased.

But now planning to overwrite back to Xp, anyway Win7 runs toooo slow in the old machine and I use FF.

Regards,

Anand

-anandcoral (April 30, 2014, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I'll have to think about that too Anand, if the cost was just the raw OS and the time to rebuild a hundred programs, it's one thing, but having to sacrifice the entire hardware is another!

Innuendo:
Respect to Microsoft for releasing patches for Windows XP. A lot of companies would have just used this incident as a bullet point on their sales presentation to get you to upgrade.

cyberdiva:
I'm a bit puzzled about all this.  Today I was offered an update related to this issue: KB 2964358.  It's offered to people on Win 7 who have an earlier update installed (KB 2929437, I think, which is already installed).  However, KB 2964358 is rated as "important" rather than "critical," even though it would seem that the issue is more serious than "important" suggests.  Moreover, this update was offered to me but not checked, which usually is a sign I shouldn't be quick to install it.  I'm not all that worried, since I almost never use Internet Explorer (it's fourth on my list, after Pale Moon, Opera 12.17, and Firefox).  But I'm nonetheless puzzled.  Needless to say, I haven't yet installed it.   :huh: 

tomos:
[2964358 is being] offered to people on Win 7 who have an earlier update installed (KB 2929437, I think, which is already installed).-cyberdiva (May 02, 2014, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm being offered it today.

MS does give a warning:
Known issues with this security update

Internet Explorer will crash if you try to install this security update on a Windows 7-based system that does not already have security update 2929437 installed. To avoid this issue, take either of the following actions:
        Install security update 2929437, and then install security update 2964358. For more information about security update 2929437, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
        2929437 Description of the security update for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: April 8, 2014
        Install security update 2964444 instead of security update 2964358. Security update 2964444 is intended for systems that do not have security update 2929437 installed.
--- End quote ---

Wondering is there any way of easily checking what updates are installed? (in Win7, they show you a nice list after updating/rebooting, but I dont know how to access that)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version