ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC)

<< < (3/6) > >>

Vurbal:
^Good thing she doesn't teach in my state! Making a joke like that probably would have gotten her in trouble if not fired or at least ordered to get a psych evaluation to be sure she isn't a therat to "The Children."
 :-\
-40hz (May 03, 2014, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have to admit we're fortunate to live in a school district where there's a minimal amount of rigid ignorance, beyond government mandated knee jerking anyway.

We even have our own Supreme Court decision to remind everyone just what rigid ignorance looks like - and how the SCOTUS feels about it.

40hz:
I have to admit we're fortunate to live in a school district where there's a minimal amount of rigid ignorance, beyond government mandated knee jerking anyway.
-Vurbal (May 04, 2014, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood. Unfortunately, we're on a real roll in CT. First the Sandy Hook school shooting incident not that long ago. Now, just last week, a 16-year old kid stabbed his alleged ex-girfriend to death - in their high school - during the school day-  when she refused to go to the junior prom with him. Very tragic story.

Needless to say, half the State is going a little nuts over all of this. Because: "We're a nice, safe, upscale state. Our kids are 'nice' too. Things like this shouldn't be happening here."

You know the drill... :(

Renegade:
^Good thing she doesn't teach in my state! Making a joke like that probably would have gotten her in trouble if not fired or at least ordered to get a psych evaluation to be sure she isn't a therat to "The Children."
--- End quote ---

We even have our own Supreme Court decision to remind everyone just what rigid ignorance looks like - and how the SCOTUS feels about it.
--- End quote ---

Decision Date: February 24, 1969
--- End quote ---

The problem is that there are too many neo-libs and neo-cons that seem to think that "all that Constitution nonsense is outdated". After all, "it's a living document" and "needs to reflect the reality of the times we live in." Pfft. Horse s**t.

I don't think that the courts would rule the same today.

Honestly, the way schools are now scares me. I've seen parts of some curricula, and they're terrifying. I was at an event hosted at an elementary school, and what was posted on the walls was just surreal. They might as well have just posted pictures of Stalin and Mao.

40hz:
Honestly, the way schools are now scares me. I've seen parts of some curricula, and they're terrifying. I was at an event hosted at an elementary school, and what was posted on the walls was just surreal. They might as well have just posted pictures of Stalin and Mao.
-Renegade (May 04, 2014, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same deal here. It's like watching Sinclair Lewis's novel It Can't Happen Here playing out in real time.

What they don't tell the kids

;)

Vurbal:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Decision Date: February 24, 1969
--- End quote ---

The problem is that there are too many neo-libs and neo-cons that seem to think that "all that Constitution nonsense is outdated". After all, "it's a living document" and "needs to reflect the reality of the times we live in." Pfft. Horse s**t.

I don't think that the courts would rule the same today.

-Renegade (May 04, 2014, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually do think the SCOTUS would rule the same today. When it comes to the basics of First Amendment protection, meaning there are no special rights for politicorporate elite at stake, the Supreme Court has been remarkably consistent for nearly the last hundred years. The eventual outcome of a challenge isn't the problem IMO. The problem is the likelihood a legitimate challenge would get buried in a mountain of stupid for months or years before making it there. That's assuming they took the first such case to come along, which may or may not be the case.

Simple free speech cases, particularly those with the potential to set benchmarks for decades of briefs, precedents, and even future SCOTUS decisions, are the modern day court's bread and butter to some extent. At least since the time Oliver Wendell Holmes was pushed by history and his colleagues from from the dark side and became a defender of speech, the justices have been overwhelmingly (and apparently personally) committed to the principal of extremely narrow and tailored speech regulation and even less prior restraint. It's politically cheap and, I suspect, beyond the view, from that height, to truly grasp the effects of.

In terms of school district bureaucrats, things are more complex. We have some personal advantages there since my wife is Administrative Assistant to the district's Transportation Manager. She has also become one of the district's 2 "go to" people for the payroll system they just rolled out, working for/with the Comptroller and Superintendent and being personally responsible for supporting all the school Office Managers. When the top administrators have you on their short list of people who, "just get things done," it's amazing the difference it makes in your access to bullshit free answers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version