ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

State of US Nuclear Silos (60 Minutes)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
There's a big difference when you build something for a purpose vs. build for a buck.
-Renegade (May 01, 2014, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Damn Straight! That's why after 50 years of technological "advancement" the cars we have now are shit compared to what was available in the late 60s and early 70s. Yeah they're all child safe and cuddly and "Eco Friendly" and squirt butterflies out the tailpipe ... but performance???

1968 Dodge Charger (Auto)         0-60 mph 4.7   Quarter mile 13.3
2013 Dodge Charger Police Car    0-60 mph 5.1   Quarter Mile 13.7
2013 Dodge Charger SXT             0-60 mph 6.5   Quarter Mile 14.9

...What's up with ^that^

SeraphimLabs:
There's a big difference when you build something for a purpose vs. build for a buck.
-Renegade (May 01, 2014, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Damn Straight! That's why after 50 years of technological "advancement" the cars we have now are shit compared to what was available in the late 60s and early 70s. Yeah they're all child safe and cuddly and "Eco Friendly" and squirt butterflies out the tailpipe ... but performance???

1968 Dodge Charger (Auto)         0-60 mph 4.7   Quarter mile 13.3
2013 Dodge Charger Police Car    0-60 mph 5.1   Quarter Mile 13.7
2013 Dodge Charger SXT             0-60 mph 6.5   Quarter Mile 14.9

...What's up with ^that^

-Stoic Joker (May 01, 2014, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

They're not even eco-friendly.

1988 Chevy Nova. (1.6L 2bbl carb, ~70 horsepower curb rating)
I measured 38-40 MPG consistently with this as long as I stayed away from E10 gasoline, it absolutely hated that E10 crap.

The 2011 Ford Fiesta Hybrid- state of the art when I was driving that old Nova, was making a mere 35 MPG... on a HYBRID.

Where have we gone so wrong?

Oh and the E10 thing is a load of crap too. How exactly am I protecting the environment when I have to burn significantly more fuel to get from point A to point B when using E10 compared to straight gas.

That Nova I mentioned in my earlier example, the measured MPG dropped into the low 30s when using E10 instead of the straight gas it was designed for.

MilesAhead:
I used to do auto inspections in Massachusetts back in my mechanic days.  It was almost like something out of Kurt Vonnegut when we would hook up the emissions tester and detune the carburetor fuel mixture to get the car to pass.  Then we'd adjust the fuel mixture to get it to run right and charge the customer for a carburetor adjustment.  :)

What surprised me almost as much as South Africa ending Apartheid was that Florida realized people queuing up to get their emissions tested created more pollution than compliance prevented.  They did away with the testing stations altogether.  

btw I used to have a '68 charger.  But it only had a 318 2 bbl.  No sub 5 second 0-60s for me.  :)

Stoic Joker:
Where have we gone so wrong?

Oh and the E10 thing is a load of crap too. How exactly am I protecting the environment when I have to burn significantly more fuel to get from point A to point B when using E10 compared to straight gas.-SeraphimLabs (May 01, 2014, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that one brother. I had to replace the float needle every 3 months on my old FL because of the freaking Ethanol drying it out so it was to hard to seal. Christ I had more gas on the ground than went through the engine.

btw I used to have a '68 charger.  But it only had a 318 2 bbl.  No sub 5 second 0-60s for me.
-MilesAhead (May 01, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

My first car was a 74 Plymouth Satellite with the same engine, a 4 barrel, and a broken (read no) choke ... Now that was a cold blooded bitch. I bought the car off a friend for $400, but that was back in the early 80s (when I was 16 or 17). It left the ground in a drag race and went through the middle (e.g. 6' off the ground) of a security fence - backwards at 80mph - which wrinkled up the sheet metal a bit. I walked away, but the car didn't quite fair as well (Ah! The good Ol' days).

MilesAhead:
(Ah! The good Ol' days)
--- End quote ---
When I was a mechanic I think the customer car I test drove I wanted to own the most was a '71 Camaro LT.  That thing was nice.  Really deep bucket seats.  Sharp body styling.  Big engine.  And of course rack & pinion steering.  I didn't get to drive it very far.  But I could tell it handled flat as well as looked cool.  Just taking it around the block was fun.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version