ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

State of US Nuclear Silos (60 Minutes)

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
Would we really be happier if they decided to update it? Maybe even make it web enabled...with a GUI. ("It's really quite user friendly Sir and Madam Senators. You just mouse over and double click on the region of the world you wish to destroy, enter a PIN, and voila! - it's Armageddon time!")

Silos are obsolete from a strategic perspective anyway. And military planners on all sides have known this for decades. Missile silos are kept around mainly for their symbolic value. That, and to have something to put on the table during strategic arms negotiation talks.

Because something like 90% of the world's active duty nuclear arsenals are now located onboard submarines and other naval vessels. And those weapon systems never seem to get included in arms limitation discussions.

Now what does that tell you? :tellme:

(Go Navy!) :'(

MilesAhead:
Because something like 90% of the world's active duty nuclear arsenals are now located onboard submarines and other naval vessels. And those weapon systems never seem to get included in arms limitation discussions.

Now what does that tell you?

--- End quote ---

I'd say it looks promising we can ban derringers as siege weapons. 

Renegade:
If you want to dive down the rabbit hole... look into US generals that got fired in the last few years. ;) Make sure to bring a clean set of underwear. (That actually is on topic.)

SeraphimLabs:
Those Nuclear attack submarines also get pulled into the workshop every 10-20 years for refurbishment, just as a fact of life for an oceangoing vessel. Among the upgrades usually are weaponry-related system improvements.

I'm actually surprised that they still have 8" floppies in service. I expected the silos to be controlled by punchtape or punchcard. That way the control system would be totally immune to enemy magnetic or EMP attacks.

But the old iron is really hard to beat. Technology that put a man on the moon is still perfectly functional to this day, especially when paired with a talented maintenance team and a supply of either new old stock or remanufactured parts to fit.

And then you get to craft like Voyager, which is beyond any hope of ever being touched by a human being again, and yet is still -almost- fully functional more than 40 years after launch. The biggest hinderance to its current operational status is that its radioisotope thermal generator is decaying as it was expected to do, and the available electrical power is no longer sufficient to operate all of its functionality. I don't think anyone who built it expected it to last that long, but there it goes.

Renegade:
But the old iron is really hard to beat. Technology that put a man on the moon is still perfectly functional to this day, especially when paired with a talented maintenance team and a supply of either new old stock or remanufactured parts to fit.

And then you get to craft like Voyager, which is beyond any hope of ever being touched by a human being again, and yet is still -almost- fully functional more than 40 years after launch. The biggest hinderance to its current operational status is that its radioisotope thermal generator is decaying as it was expected to do, and the available electrical power is no longer sufficient to operate all of its functionality. I don't think anyone who built it expected it to last that long, but there it goes.
-SeraphimLabs (April 30, 2014, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but that's because the engineers weren't very good and hasn't mastered planned obsolescence. :P (Lightbulb Conspiracy [FACT])

There's a big difference when you build something for a purpose vs. build for a buck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version