ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cheap fountain pen shootout

<< < (4/6) > >>

Edvard:
Maybe Cheap should be in quotes :) The Cult Pens site had one in the $1000's.
-1NR1 (May 21, 2014, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

The original article only touched on pens in the $3 - $30 range, but yeah, thousand-dollar fountain pens are surprisingly common.  :o

But seriously, I use fountain and ink pens for drawing and I'm on the lookout for a cartridge ink pen that allows different "nibs".  Any ideas?  Thanks.  
--- End quote ---

If there are any that have different nibs, they will usually come in a special kit or boxed set and feature either interchangable nibs (rare) or different pen assemblies with a common body (less rare).  I have fond remembrances of Staedtler/Mars and Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph technical pens that had different points you could screw into the barrel/inkholder.  A similar system for fountain pens would be... delicious.  For now though, it might be enough to get a few drawing pens in different widths, such as the Tachikawa Linemarker A.T. line that comes in 0.1mm, 0.3mm, and 0.5mm ($13.50 each from JetPens.com).
Beyond that, I don't know any specifically  :(

rjbull:
Maybe Cheap should be in quotes :) The Cult Pens site had one in the $1000's.
-1NR1 (May 21, 2014, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
They also have cheap ones.  The baseline for the cheapest good fountain pen seems to be the Lamy Safari, or now the Lamy Nexx with same nibs and converters, which are affordable.

I'm on the lookout for a cartridge ink pen that allows different "nibs".  Any ideas? -1NR1 (May 21, 2014, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Lamy Safari or Nexx...  if you buy them from The Writing Desk (TWD), you can specify whichever nib you want.  Quoting TWD's Lamy Safari page:
The Lamy Safari represents Lamy quality, reliability and style in an excellent value-for-money writing instrument, available as a fountain pen with either EF, F, A, M, left-handed (LH), B or 1.1/1.5/1.9mm italic nib sizes (mechanical pencil, rollerball and ballpen available to special order). The fountain pen comes with a Lamy T10 cartridge (blue) but bottled ink can be used if fitted with a Lamy Z24 converter. Although the converter is not supplied as standard we offer a bundle of Safari fountain pen plus converter which represents a saving over buying the items individually. See individual product listings for details.

--- End quote ---

1NR1:
Thanks all, Edvard and rjbull for the 411. Several sites have what I am looking for, or pretty close anyway.

Some of you more exotic thinking types (which in my experience is just about everyone on Donationcoder) might consider making your own pens from quills and bamboo (search that). It's something I have had some success with in drawing, thus the original post of mine to to look for manufactured pens that don't require multiple dips in an ink well.

Cheers
NR
Washington DC

also: around Thanksgiving in the US, turkey quills are real cheap :)

TaoPhoenix:

The original article only touched on pens in the $3 - $30 range, but yeah, thousand-dollar fountain pens are surprisingly common.  :o

-Edvard (May 21, 2014, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh rich boys and their toys. "My fountain pen cost more than your computer."

:tellme:

Edvard:
Hehe, I've always wanted to make a quill pen with one of those gigantic African porcupine quills. :-[

Absent that, I do have a small collection of fine pointed dip pens (cartographer and cartoonist nibs) and an incomplete set of brass Kueffel & Esser lettering pens that I still use when I'm feeling cheeky (see here and here for an example).

Next time I get my hands on a goose quill:

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version