ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ImgBurn - full of OpenCandy and other crap

<< < (6/12) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Carol, that's simply impossible/unreasonable/impractical. You're effectively asking that before the code runs, code runs to let you opt out. You have to run the code in order to be able to opt out.
-Renegade (April 26, 2014, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you misunderstood - if I have to have OpenCandy try and foist crap on on me why can't Open Candy say to me - here is the crap we are offering ... do you want it?

To be honest I am not sure if Conduit came from OpenCandy (there was definitely no opt out option during installation in custom install mode - it wasn't mentioned anywhere except by Malwarebytes popping up hundreds of warnings) or directly within the package I downloaded.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me how it arrived - the fact is it arrived and was bloody annoying. The only people to blame for that arrival was ImgBurn since one way or another it came from their installer. If they put it in the installation package then then are actually now distributing malware - if it came from OpenCandy without warning then ImgBurn is still to blame for making a pact with the devil!!

What really gets my blood boiling is that I have both donated to ImgBurn in the past and have recommended it widely to other people (and asked them to donate too). Now the finger is likely to point at me if those people's computers get infected when ImgBurn offers an update.

Renegade:
Carol, that's simply impossible/unreasonable/impractical. You're effectively asking that before the code runs, code runs to let you opt out. You have to run the code in order to be able to opt out.
-Renegade (April 26, 2014, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you misunderstood - if I have to have OpenCandy try and foist crap on on me why can't Open Candy say to me - here is the crap we are offering ... do you want it?

To be honest I am not sure if Conduit came from OpenCandy (there was definitely no opt out option during installation in custom install mode - it wasn't mentioned anywhere except by Malwarebytes popping up hundreds of warnings) or directly within the package I downloaded.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me how it arrived - the fact is it arrived and was bloody annoying. The only people to blame for that arrival was ImgBurn since one way or another it came from their installer. If they put it in the installation package then then are actually now distributing malware - if it came from OpenCandy without warning then ImgBurn is still to blame for making a pact with the devil!!

What really gets my blood boiling is that I have both donated to ImgBurn in the past and have recommended it widely to other people (and asked them to donate too). Now the finger is likely to point at me if those people's computers get infected when ImgBurn offers an update.
-Carol Haynes (April 27, 2014, 04:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Blaming OC is still off-mark.

What might have happened is that some software (not OC) was on your system and did the download/install. OC is an installer platform. If a company used OC to get on your computer, then went rogue, well... There you go.

I have a program with users that I could go rogue on. I won't. But I could. I'd have myself a nice little bot army. I just couldn't ever bring myself to be a douche like that though. Some people can.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry I didn't have Conduit on my system until I downloaded ImgBurn and installed it - as soon as the installer started MBAM went mad. My system is scanned regularly and was/is clean.

If you actually read what I said :

To be honest I am not sure if Conduit came from OpenCandy ...

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me how it arrived ... The only people to blame for that arrival was ImgBurn since one way or another it came from their installer.

--- End quote ---

Not sure how that equates to blaming OpenCandy - though I do think they are a scummy system specifically designed to confuse people.

J-Mac:
I happen to have two setups for ImgBurn on my computer, and the size difference is telling:

SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe       2.06 MB
SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe       5.83 MB

Sooo, I extracted the contents of both using UniExtract and found the following:

SetupImgBurn_2.5.0.0.exe

Installer for ImgBurn in the main folder, plus two subfolders, for Plugins and Sounds.
Plugins contains DLLs and images pertaining to ImgBurn only.

SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe

Main folder contains three subfolders: Install directory, Plugins directory, and Temp directory
Install directory contains a folder named Uniblue that has three files: DriverScanner, RegistryBooster, and SpeedUpMyPC.
Plugins directory contains ImgBurn DLLs and images plus Ask toolbar .ini and .bmp files
Temp directory contains ApnIC.dll, ApnStub.exe, and Apn Toolbar Installer.exe - all Ask Toolbar related.

So to me it appears that 2.5.0.0 was the last clean version of ImgBurn. I wouldn’t install any version released later than that.

BTW, 2.5.7.0 had no reference to OC within the installer package.

Jim

hamradio:
Sounds like you not alone...

Here is a few of them...
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/22747-your-coercive-bloatware-vendor-just-lost-your-company-another-customer/
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/22749-disappointed-usermalware-issue/
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/22687-imgburn-installed-unremovable-malware-on-my-pc-without-an-op-out-option/
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/22609-option-to-opt-out-is-being-prevented-by-the-thrid-party-app/

As for that last topic the authors reply to the user...

I don't suppose you took a screenshot of that offer screen did you?

I have no way of knowing if I'll see the same one should I ever get offered that application.
-LIGHTNING UK!
--- End quote ---

If I was going to do something it would definitely not use a system that provides random offers not knowing what offers my product users might get offered to them for that very reason...  To me it would be like letting the fox guard the hen house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version