ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ImgBurn - full of OpenCandy and other crap

<< < (3/12) > >>

superboyac:
hmmm...first cdburnerxp and now imgburn too?  what's the deal?

x16wda:
That's odd, I have installed 2.5.8.0 and it only had the normal OpenCandy crap. Nothing else hidden away, no Conduit or anything.

Presumably your installer file is different from the one I have.... which was also downloaded from the site when the older version prompted me to download.

Size: 3,469,871
  Date: june 17 2013 8:20:23pm
  File: SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe
CRC-32: 00e8e0b2
   MD4: 2cba62e925b22077e7b1d1656fb6dc29
   MD5: 9685e1b00b7d1b31ede436bd9b12be39
 SHA-1: 5ca96a0c243390c378dee1a629684ea261e2cfc4

Any chance you have a DNS redirect going somehow?  The checksums on the download page at the site match my file.  Try re-downloading?

Carol Haynes:
No the MD5 sums match the one I downloaded just now on the same computer (the original download was deleted).

Wonder if the installer was infected and they replaced it - I didn't have search protect appearing before I ran the original setup file and as soon as I double clicked it Malwarebytes went mad - it was definitely the installed direct from the ImgBurn server (I never use mirrors if I can avoid them)?

I unpacked it and can only see opencandy?

Just installed it again as an update and Malwarebytes blocked opencandy before installation and then it installed normally?

Strange.

Actually maybe they have random installers with different packages - I just looked at an old copy of 2.5.6.0 and that has the Ask Toolbar in the installer ???

mouser:
That's odd, I have installed 2.5.8.0 and it only had the normal OpenCandy crap. Nothing else hidden away, no Conduit or anything.
--- End quote ---

Sometimes even the official web pages will redirect you to a site like cnet, which can bundle adware -- i know ccleaner has been known to do this (and offer an alternative less visible clean download alternative) -- maybe you ran into something like that, or enough people complained that they quickly changed the download.

Carol Haynes:
That would be very odd because the page and hashes must be generated according to where they are sending the download from. I definitely clicked the direct ImgBurn server link.

Just downloaded another copy this morning.

The download link was: http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

The file hashes matched those publish but it was a different file to the two files I downloaded yesterday. They must have a script that updates the page periodically and provides a range of different downloads. Yesterday morning I was unlucky and go SearchProtect bundled which is pretty scummy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version