ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ImgBurn - full of OpenCandy and other crap

<< < (4/12) > >>

Josh:
I just installed imgburn and while I had to de-select the opencandy stuff, I do not have any "extra" things installed. I tested it with an installation monitor and the only files/folders created/installed were the imgburn files.

Windows 8.1.1 pro

techidave:
I just last week downloaded the current version of ImgBurn from their servers.  I deselected the Conduit stuff.  I have noticed a problem with that machine but I better double check it to make sure.

As Carol said, this will be a deal killer for me too if they continue to add known malware to their installer.  Its bad enough that we have to put up with Open Candy.   :(

Stoic Joker:
That would be very odd because the page and hashes must be generated according to where they are sending the download from. I definitely clicked the direct ImgBurn server link.

Just downloaded another copy this morning.

The download link was: http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

The file hashes matched those publish but it was a different file to the two files I downloaded yesterday. They must have a script that updates the page periodically and provides a range of different downloads. Yesterday morning I was unlucky and go SearchProtect bundled which is pretty scummy!
-Carol Haynes (April 25, 2014, 03:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

The think I'm wondering is does OpenCandy come completely pre bundled with it's offers, or does it have a phone home on launch to see what's hot today type function? Option two would allow the size to remain consistent and the behavior to vary wildly.

Carol Haynes:
Not sure about OpenCandy but 7-zip will unpack the installer - and on three downloads in two days of the same version I have found three different things bundled inside the installer package plus OpenCandy. The one I downloaded today included the ASK Toolbar which is at best a pest and at worst malware.

I suppose it isn't impossible that OpenCandy itself is providing random crap on the system during install - but I thought it was supposed to always allow you to deselect things you don't want - so where did Conduit come from?

Renegade:
OC when I looked into it in depth is harmless.

https://cynic.me/2011/04/03/opening-up-opencandy/

You can opt out easily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version