topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 'Microsoft fix it' softfare to fix uninstall problems. Trustworthy?  (Read 3880 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have > 1gb of uninstallers. I wonder if I could remove some.
Looks like removing by hand is dangerous. MS has a program for that:

http://support.micro...nstall_and_Uninstall

Anyone used it? Worth it? Touches the registry, so a bit wary to pull the trigger.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have used Microsoft Fix-It tools to generally good effect on my In-laws XP computer.  They are the kinds of people that give the Geek Squad nightmares even as they run the credit card.  Beautiful people whom I love and respect like my own kin, but victim to every "Your computer has been hacked with viruses!!!11!1" pop-up known to man.  
The last time, they were a victim of ransom-ware, with most of My Documents locked behind admin permissions (IIRC) and the Start menu gutted (was switched to Classic start menu, with a few empty folders and app shortcuts remaining, nothing in the Settings sub-menu).  Microsoft Fix-It actually fixed ~80% of the errors, with the rest being done by me manually (I had to re-enable the full start menu, uninstall the rogue toolbar and malware, etc.), so now their computer is hovering around 95% OK (fingers crossed), the rest can only be fixed by a complete re-install.

I decided to trust it because it IS put out by Microsoft themselves, who should know how their own systems work, and not a third party who may or may not have read the uninstall API correctly.  I'd say back up what you can, say a prayer if you're so inclined and pull the trigger.  Your only other options are leaving the uninstallers as they are (safe), or trusting a third-party app with a good reputation (potentially unsafe).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
They are trustworthy & I've used them a time or two myself. Sometimes you just don't have time to go through doing everything manually & a good double-click solution is ideal.

I think I've used different ones a total of four or five times & every time it worked perfectly & worked as described. Insert standard 'make a backup before you make any major changes to your computer' speech here.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I trust it too. In my setup it has its own stick drive:

2014-04-20_160928.gif