ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

video hosting performance: local vs youtube/vimeo/etc.

<< < (2/2)

superboyac:
The local one paused to buffer a lot for me too -- of course that is not because it's local per se -- but rather a reflection of the local server's performance weaknesses and the bandwidth limits of its location.
-mouser (April 21, 2014, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
How can I make it faster?  other than getting a private server option, that is, which is way more expensive.  shouldn't i have enough bandwidth to play smoothly once in a while?  I've never had good performance on videos i've locally hosted...and i've tried at least 3 different web hosts.

Jibz:
It looks like the video is encoded at around 12 MB/sec, and from my computer I am downloading at somewhere between 256 kb/sec and 512 kb/sec from your server, it should be obvious that there is no way this will be smooth.

For streaming, I would make a web-optimized video file at no more than 2 MB/sec (I don't know what software you are using, I often use use Handbrake for recoding).

If you don't want to place it somewhere with more bandwidth than your own server, you might have to go even lower, but the quality will suffer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version