ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hey Mouser... you still drowning in student loan debt?

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
gallivanting
-MilesAhead (May 13, 2014, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Awesome! My grandmother's favorite word to describe what her working daughters were doing Fridays after work instead of coming home for dinner! ;D :Thmbsup:
-40hz (May 13, 2014, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I still say that -with roughly the same usage as your granny. My mum used it a lot when we were growing up (Ireland). The kids today dont use it there, but I *think* they'd still understand it, mostly anyways.

PS nice little family story 40 :up:

Stoic Joker:
I remember at one restaurant someone mentioned his background saying it like "porch chew geese."  This provoked the mechanic to sit at their table and lecture them that the proper reference was "port a gee" phonetically.-MilesAhead (May 13, 2014, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

While I have heard that before - having been raised in the south... - I usually pronounce it closer to the first way (por cha geese).

But then again I also use both lollygagging and gallivanting quite frequently ... I have a rather confused heritage.

MilesAhead:
Heh heh.  Maybe it was just an excuse to find the guys wrong about some factual info. The way I first told it made it sound like the older brother went off for no reason.  But the two guys did make some slurs.  But they were all "yes sir" and "no sir" once the older brother sat on their table.  :)

Fortunately the situation dissolved and we went back to having a good night out.

xtabber:
Here's some current statistical information from Pew Research about student debt and its socio-economic effects.

Read it and weep.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version