ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hey Mouser... you still drowning in student loan debt?

(1/3) > >>

crabby3:
You are the first person who made me aware of this issue.  I guess it's one of those things that is usually kept private?  Here's a few horror stories.   :(

These remind me of Credit Card debt... carefully orchestrated traps waiting to be sprung.

mouser:
I have not made a dent in my student loan debt.

MilesAhead:
I overheard a guy talking in the library a couple weeks back.  Evidently he ran into an old friend he hadn't seen in awhile and was bringing him up to speed.  The gist of it is he got an Associates Degree, then went on to get his Bachelor's(I don't remember the discipline.)  He found he couldn't get a job and is carrying $30,000 in debt.

If I ever do manage entry into college I plan to do the minimum to maintain 1/2 student status and get some grants/aid etc..  I started applying in January and still am not at the point of registering for classes.  At this rate I'll be dead before I make it out of Freshman Year.   Unless life expectancy skyrockets soon.  :)

nickodemos:
I hate to say this but first step to being a smart adult is to know if the field your going into will pay you when you graduate. It would seem that colleges would start to limit the numbers if a field gets to large to hold the graduates but we all know that colleges are based on money. I say this not to be harsh but unless your the cream of the crop as a lawyer odds are your not going to do well. Same goes with being a dentist and then get a practice in a town of 2500 people. 17th century French poetry.

I wanted to go into IT and specialize in the security field. Sadly I realize I could not do this and have a life (at the time I was 40) since my age would be held against me. So nursing it was. Worst case there is always some position open some where even if they pay is not great, one can always move on when there is a better paying job.

I don't know mousers story but he is doing the best thing. Keeping busy and making a name for himself, till something comes up.

Notice that your a few hours away from me. Have you thought about working for a non profit? You can get paid and at same time get loan forgiveness. Same with a govt job.

MilesAhead:
You are right about one thing.  Even Johnnie Cochran can't get you acquitted of the crime of being old. I notice the young people on campus function under the impression that it's a contagious condition.  :)

For the time being a friend found a class for me that's inexpensive and doesn't require a textbook.  Enough to get a student ID and regroup.  There's a councilor on campus who may help getting at least some part time work.  I'll also have to get onto some of those job training programs.  Some pay for classes and may even provide a stipend.

It seems like the first step takes the longest.  Maybe now I can get on a good roll.  :)

Thanks for the suggestions.  It does crack me up though when I see ads to go to such and such a school for software development.  They give the impression the IT Boom(tm) is still ongoing.  Weird.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version