ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Scary Driveby Attack / Mysterious failure / Other

<< < (5/6) > >>

Vurbal:
points 50/50. Admins however know that that notion - generally speaking - is complete bullshit. :D Things that can, will, and do influence the coins inclination one way of the other are the users own aptitude score, the age of the machine, my mood, the day of the week, and of course - most importantly - the time of day... As one must always, and in all things account for and defer to the will of Murphy's Law lest they risk incurring the wrath of the fates.
-Stoic Joker (April 17, 2014, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

You forgot the phase of the moon.  :D

40hz:
points 50/50. Admins however know that that notion - generally speaking - is complete bullshit. :D Things that can, will, and do influence the coins inclination one way of the other are the users own aptitude score, the age of the machine, my mood, the day of the week, and of course - most importantly - the time of day... As one must always, and in all things account for and defer to the will of Murphy's Law lest they risk incurring the wrath of the fates.
-Stoic Joker (April 17, 2014, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

You forgot the phase of the moon.  :D
-Vurbal (April 18, 2014, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

And

Zwinglie's Conservation of Complexity Factor : Let n be an integer where  n = the number of possible things that can be causing the problem. n is always a large integer.

Doug's Reality Rule: You will need to go through all n possibilities to get to the bottom of it.

and

40hz's Minumum Solution Hypothesis which states: S = n+1 where S is the minimum number of tries necessary to solve a system problem.

Because you must first try every possibility to satisfy Zwinglie & Doug. Then you must go back to the one that actually does fix the problem - but which you missed the first time you tried it.

8)

techidave:
is there any kind of a third party program that will "record" or "log" the efforts of chkdsk when it runs.  Sometimes those scans can take a really long time and it would be nice to know what if found if I am not around before it reboots.   :(  I try to run these at night anyway.

I have also looked in the Event Viewer logs but it doesn't record anything there.

Shades:
Checkdisk does its best work when it runs before Windows is fully started, but apparently it is logged. This is what I found on the internet:

Open the Event Viewer...

Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
Look in Application | Listed as Information |
Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon
[[Description: This includes file system type; drive letter or GUID, and
volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or
because the dirty bit was set.]]

[[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a
file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon
service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
Event log.]]

[[This file states whether Chkdsk encountered any errors and, if so,
whether they were fixed.]]

techidave:
Hmmm.  I will have to check it out.  Thanks Shades.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version