ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The AVE

<< < (5/11) > >>

ewemoa:
Mostly *NIX -- on Windows for quick edits I've tended to use Notepad.exe :)

And yes...I forgot about the slow connection part.
-40hz (May 04, 2014, 06:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

He he -- some things seem better these days!

Jibz:
I guess I'm not all that sure what the argument is for using Vim in the Windows world - if Windows is the only OS you ever anticipate using.
-40hz (May 04, 2014, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's probably not a bad thing to learn some Vim as an exercise in moving outside your comfort zone. Or for the personal satisfaction of being able to say "been there, done that." I've put enough time in to where I'm moderately comfortable using Vim. But it's more a hobby or a "builds character" exercise for me. Vim certainly wouldn't be my first choice if I needed an editor. Nor my second. Or even my third...

But that's me. YMMV. 8) ;D
--- End quote ---

If you read my initial post again, this is about experimenting with Vim to get to know it, and not about using Vim as your only editor ever ;D. I agree it is a bit of an oddball on Windows, but as you say, it's one of those things that are "nice to know", and which may come in handy if you ever have to do some work on *NIX.

Also, I feel I spend sufficient time in a text editor, that even smaller improvements in efficiency are worth exploring :Thmbsup:.

x16wda:
Also, I feel I spend sufficient time in a text editor, that even smaller improvements in efficiency are worth exploring :Thmbsup:.
-Jibz (May 05, 2014, 03:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can see that... although for me, twould be a much better thing to get more efficiency or accuracy on what happens on the other side of the keyboard!  :D

phitsc:
I guess I'm not all that sure what the argument is for using Vim in the Windows world - if Windows is the only OS you ever anticipate using.

Vim certainly wouldn't be my first choice if I needed an editor. Nor my second. Or even my third...
--- End quote ---

I'm afraid I have come to the same conclusion. I've uninstalled VIM on the same day I started this AVE :(

What I have done instead is to install VsVim in Visual Studio and Vintageous in Sublime Text 3 to make this a two step process:

1. Learn vi commands in an environment which is familiar (and fully configured)
2. Look into VIM configuration at a later time, after I have learned using VIM (well, the editing parts of it anyway)

I have since found that VsVim is superior to Vintageous (which itself is superior to Sublime's own Vintage mode). But both are actually quite usable.

The one cheat sheet I've consulted most often was this one: http://www.fprintf.net/vimCheatSheet.html
although I've started my own with the commands I use most (so I can look them up faster).

ewemoa:
Don't know how good it might be but just came across:

http://dailyvim.blogspot.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version