ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The AVE

<< < (4/11) > >>

ewemoa:
Haven't looked at in detail, but came across following:

http://learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/

Jibz:
Thank you for the links ewemoa :Thmbsup:.

Going through that long list of commands now ;D.

40hz:
I guess I'm not all that sure what the argument is for using Vim in the Windows world - if Windows is the only OS you ever anticipate using.

In the Unix/Linux/BSD world it makes some sense since Vim is found (or easily installable) on any installation you'll run into. So it's sorta the lowest common denominator for editors in that environment. But that doesn't make it an ideal choice unless you're the type of person who is heavily into customizing and extending your editing environment. And most regular Vim users aren’t into it that much either. At least from what I've seen.

It's probably not a bad thing to learn some Vim as an exercise in moving outside your comfort zone. Or for the personal satisfaction of being able to say "been there, done that." I've put enough time in to where I'm moderately comfortable using Vim. But it's more a hobby or a "builds character" exercise for me. Vim certainly wouldn't be my first choice if I needed an editor. Nor my second. Or even my third...

But that's me. YMMV. 8) ;D

ewemoa:
Below are some scenarios I recall using vi / vim under:

* Quick startup time handy for quick / small edits
* Functions ok over slow connections
* No other options in certain limited environments (e.g. while installing or restricted scenarios)
Knowing some of the key sequences has turned out to be handy in other contexts -- ofc, learning Emacs-ish key bindings also turned out to be useful too :)

40hz:
^Is all that primarily under Windows? Or mostly NIX? (Just curious.) :)

And yes...I forgot about the slow connection part. You're absolutely right about that. It's been a real godsend for me in similar situations. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version