ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The AVE

<< < (2/11) > >>

ewemoa:
Also, by default vim doesn't open another file from the same folder as the current one. If you just opened "C:\data\long\path\foo.c", and then want to open foo.h from the same folder, you need the entire path again. I know there's command history, but you get what I mean -- most other editors would start by looking in the same folder.
-Jibz (April 18, 2014, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tested this in the default installation of gvim (7.4.214-1) in Manjaro Linux and didn't reproduce -- i.e. I got the behavior of not having to navigate again.  May be it has been tweaked to behave nicely?

ewemoa:
I think it adds a bit to the complexity of starting to use Vim that you have to fiddle with settings to get it to behave similar to what you would expect.
--- End quote ---

Can be a tricky issue when everyone doesn't share all expectations ;)

FWWI, I prefer syntax highlighting by default (and even expect it these days), but it doesn't seem on in vim (or gvim) by default...

:syntax on

ewemoa:
By default you can't open a file, make a change and then open another file without saving the first one. That seems odd, but I am sure there is some Unix explanation for it.
--- End quote ---

I don't know about the Unix part of it, but if you think of it as opening another file into the buffer you are working in (so you might lose changes if opening is successful), then may be it doesn't seem so odd?

FWIW, at least in gvim here if you choose "Open Tab..." (:tabnew) after making a change in the current buffer, I am not being asked to save changes.

Jibz:
Thanks ewemoa, it's great to get some perspective from someone who has used Vim :Thmbsup:.

Also, by default vim doesn't open another file from the same folder as the current one. If you just opened "C:\data\long\path\foo.c", and then want to open foo.h from the same folder, you need the entire path again. I know there's command history, but you get what I mean -- most other editors would start by looking in the same folder.
--- End quote ---
I tested this in the default installation of gvim (7.4.214-1) in Manjaro Linux and didn't reproduce -- i.e. I got the behavior of not having to navigate again.  May be it has been tweaked to behave nicely?
-ewemoa (April 18, 2014, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess it might be compiled with different settings. On my default Windows install, if I open "d:\data\foo.c" and then do ":e foo.h" I get a blank new file instead of the header file from the same folder. With autochdir on it works as I expected.

By default you can't open a file, make a change and then open another file without saving the first one. That seems odd, but I am sure there is some Unix explanation for it.
--- End quote ---
I don't know about the Unix part of it, but if you think of it as opening another file into the buffer you are working in (so you might lose changes if opening is successful), then may be it doesn't seem so odd?

FWIW, at least in gvim here if you choose "Open Tab..." (:tabnew) after making a change in the current buffer, I am not being asked to save changes.
-ewemoa (April 18, 2014, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

My guess is that it is a remnant from when computers had so little memory you had to unload one file to open another. It looks like :e file will unload the current buffer, unless hidden is on. Perhaps I should be using tabs instead of buffers, I will have to look into that.

Another thing that took me a bit by surprise is that the copy/pasting to/from other programs doesn't work as usual. I had to google to figure out you have to use a special register "* to access the clipboard.

I feel I can get basic editing done now, with a few attempts to do some things. I am still a little surprised sometimes at exactly where visual mode selections end, and often when I paste, it ends up on the wrong side of where I thought it would :-[. So it takes somewhat longer than with ST, but I guess that's a question of getting used enough to it to use more commands.

Edvard:

--- ---alias vim='nano'
Seriously, I've done the AVE about 6 times now, every one of them ending up like this:
<Aoi-chan> everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat
--- End quote ---

I have now acquired the seventh edition of "Learning the vi and Vim Editors" from O'Reilly.  Haven't read much of it, because nano does me just fine most of the time ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version