ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft dropping support for Windows 8.1

<< < (4/4)

wraith808:
OK, so maybe I mis-interpreted what was said; throw me a bone here:

... those users who have elected to install updates manually will have 30 days to install Windows 8.1 Update on Windows 8.1 devices; after this 30-day window - and beginning with the May Patch Tuesday, Windows 8.1 user's devices without the update installed will no longer receive security updates.
--- End quote ---

Ok, here's how I understand it.  It seems to be saying that if you have updated to 8.1, there is a 30-day time window in which you will need to upgrade to 8.1 Update 1, and if you don't, you will no longer be able to receive any updates including the all-important Update 1.  In other words, if you somehow miss the deadline, your 8.1 is and will always be dead to future updates.  Or did I err?
-Edvard (April 15, 2014, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, you erred.  After the deadline, windows 8.1. will be blocked to windows updates.  You can update to something other than 8.1 (i.e. putting the SP on) and then be able to update.  But plain vanilla one will not be able to get other windows updates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version