ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Windows desktop productivity tool

<< < (4/8) > >>

skwire:
So, I have a working script but there is at least one caveat to this desktop folder switching like you want and that is the icon positions are not saved when switching the desktop from folder to folder.  How important is this to you?

Stef:
If that guide works then it shouldn't be difficult to have a bunch of existing folders.  The program would let you select a folder and change the Registry value to point to it.  Then it would kill all copies of Explorer. In fact I have a program that pops up a list of folders near the mouse.  When you click a folder it just opens it.  I may be able to adapt it so the chosen folder is made the desktop folder.

I'll try out the concept tomorrow.
--- End quote ---

That's nice i'm waiting for your results..

I have some working proof-of-concept code that can switch the desktop and doesn't require a logoff.  I need to play with it a bit more, though.  Stay tuned.
-skwire (April 18, 2014, 12:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeyyy that's realy Great

So, I have a working script but there is at least one caveat to this desktop folder switching like you want and that is the icon positions are not saved when switching the desktop from folder to folder.  How important is this to you?
-skwire (April 18, 2014, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

If everything works i'm happy with whatever you are able to produce.. it would be cool to save the position or to select the "sort by" option but whatever you find easy and worth of producing is acceptable, Thank you all for your time spent in my project :D

IainB:
Have you considered using something like Windows Sysinternals Desktops?
It's quite nifty. I have used it for similar purposes in the past. I have not used the latest (2012) version 2.0 though.

Stef:
Have you considered using something like Windows Sysinternals Desktops?
It's quite nifty. I have used it for similar purposes in the past. I have not used the latest (2012) version 2.0 though.

-IainB (April 18, 2014, 08:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

All the virtual desktops that i've checked are heavy and have problems with dual monitor setup & alt-Tabing, you can create up to a number ( lets say 4 ) and the most of then don't remember the files and where put them.. If the tool crashes you will end up with a hell of a desktop combining icon of all the 4 virtual desktops.

Some of them seem great at the start but as i use them i end up getting frustrated and uninstalling them,

I'll check this one too and tell you my feedback though. 
PS(my current laptop/workstation is a beast, i7 3630QM 2.40 , 16gb Ram , GTX 670M, SSD  )

MilesAhead:
Skwire has the switching under control.  If your Windows is 32 bit this old Icon Position Save/Restore I did years ago may still work.  Simce it's a shell extension for 32 bit it won't work on x64.  Also it's not tested on multimonitor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version