ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How is youtube tracking me?

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
The solution I found: move to outlook.com and f.ck with gmail.
-eleman (April 11, 2014, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe I'm entitled to employ profane words. Lots of them... Lots and lots...

Microsoft cans free custom domain support in Outlook
-eleman (April 14, 2014, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sort of change doesn't bother me so much. Whenever dealing with "free" services, the adage "Beggars can't be choosers" is often the case. My experience is that when something like the above is offered free of charge, it was done either to: (a) start attracting new users toward something that would eventually be made be a paid-for service; or, (b) offered in order to thoroughly 'real-world' test the technology for a planned paid-for service.

Looks like the future is now and the Outlook.com users have been given notice of its arrival.

Not surprising. Especially now that the Office 365 and MS Exchange Online services are fully up and taking subscriptions.

But even so, Microsoft could have handled it a little more courteously than to pull an "effective immediately" move.

Then again, a "subject to immediate change without notice" boilerplate clause was probably somewhere in the TOS - which nobody bothers to read. And often much to their loss.

-------------------------------

Rules of thumb when it comes to "free" services:

1. For companies that primarily harvest and sell information (Google, et al): "If you're not our customer, you're our product."

2. For companies that primarily charge actual money for their products or services: "If you're not our customer, you're not our customer."

8)

tomos:
Here's a very simple solution.

Stay logged into GMail in one browser, say Firefox...and do all your YouTubing in a different one, say IE. Simple solution.
-Innuendo (April 15, 2014, 08:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

this doesnt work here** - although it may work in combination with Tor (mentioned in OP).

** Just anecdotal, but I'm pretty sure it's not working here - I presumed that they can simply see that the IP address for both browsers is the same (?)

eleman:
IP address cannot be used to identify users. Sometimes hundreds share a single IP.

tomos:
IP address cannot be used to identify users. Sometimes hundreds share a single IP.
-eleman (April 16, 2014, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

well then I end up with the same question as bit :)
Must see if I can test it more scientifically. My experience has been: watching stuff in one browser where I'm not logged in, and afterwards getting offered the same video in another browser where I am logged in.

bit:
I 'may' have got back my anonymity and freedom by resetting Firefox to dump all cookies every time it closes; I can add the few exceptions I need as required.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version