ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How is youtube tracking me?

(1/3) > >>

bit:
I use Tor Vidalia and Adblock Plus with Firefox, and youtube keeps 'suggesting' videos to me similar to past videos.
I used to be able to block this, but something in my setup has changed and now I can't seem to block it anymore and wonder if anyone has any idea what to check? Thank you.

eleman:
block cookies for *youtube.com and *google.com
cookies are evil. Google is devil incarnate.

Deozaan:
And make sure you're not logged into your Google/YouTube account when viewing videos.

eleman:
On a slightly related note;

I'm thoroughly fed up with Google's attempts to enroll me in google+ and to track anything and everything I search/watch.

Aside from the privacy issues, this reduces the quality of suggestions. I already watched 23 collegehumor videos, show me something else so I can discover new things. But no, Google thinks that I love only collegehumor videos, so only they show up in suggestions.

Blocking cookies is not a perfect solution, for you can't disable safe search when the cookies are blocked. Suffice it to say, I am no longer 8 years old. If I search for Stoya, I really want to see her naked.

Ergo... I move more and more of my searches to duckduckgo (which is unfortunately still sub-par on the results front), and next week I'll move to outlook.com as my e-mail provider. I have my own domain, so there should be no problems caused by e-mail address changes.

Innuendo:
Using cookies to store data is very 1990s. LocalStorage is where it's at because it's a lot harder for end users to access and delete the contents.

Fortunately, for those who use Firefox there is Self-Destructing Cookies. Per-site settings to never allow cookies, always allow cookies, and allow cookies and nuke them a set amount of time after you have left the site. Clears out that pesky LocalStorage as well.

I've been using it a very long time and it's never let me down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version